Chapter 2: Avengers Initiative

Start from the beginning

I walked toward them. I looked at each of the personal profiles. I ignored the two adults talking behind me. I scanned each of their files carefully, like if I was to miss anything, I would regret it. I don't know why, but every time I see a personal file, I scan it too to bottom.

Steve Rogers, Captain America. Super Soldier. His shield is made out of vibranium, the strongest metal in the world. He took down dozens of... Hydra facilities. I felt my head throbbed as I tensed up.

Flashback

"Witch!" yelled a man. I stood up straight with my head looking straight. I showed no emotions, emotions mean punishment. "Time for another dose."

I fist clenched as I followed the man. I follow orders, I won't be punished as bad. I walked past a cell, a familiar cell. I shook my head. I don't want another dose. We walked into the lab. I was strapped to a table. Eight needles come up to me arms. Four on each side. Blue, bright liquid flowed through them. The scientist lined up the needles.

"Ready!" The needles pushed their way through my arm. My eyes closed tightly as I lifted my body up with my legs. Pain shot through my body. I screamed in pain. Don't cry! Don't cry! You will be punished! Crying never helped, it only made things worse. The needles were pulled out, but the pain increased. I thrashed and pulled on the strapped holding me down.

"Aahhh! Uugh!" I screamed out as the pain made its way to my head. My head pounded. Ringing in my ears as I felt liquid flow out of my ears and nose. Blood, just like before. My nails dig into my palms as I clenched them. People just watched and stared, not caring to help. They stood there... with smiles on their faces.

Flashback ended

I realized I was kneeling on the ground with my head in my hands. I felt arms wrapped around me. I was shaking.

"Hope! Hope, Please!" Dad's voice called out.

"Hope!" Pepper exclaimed extremely worried. I slowly removed myself from Dad. Dad looked at me with concerned filled eyes.

"I-I'm f-fine." I stuttered in a whisper. I was clearly not fine.

"No you're not! Hope, what happened?" Dad questioned. I looked up to Pepper and Phil. They both looked overly concerned and worried.

I shakily stood up, with the help of Dad. I used him for support. I shook my head.

"I-I'm good no-." Dad interrupted me.

"Hope... you've never done that before..." Dad's eyes softened. I stopped shaking. I shook my head, not wanting to talk about it. "I don't think you should join the Avengers Initia-."

"It was nothing, Tony!" I said angrily, my sudden change of emotions getting to me.

I stood up straight. Dad looked hurt now. I sighed knowing he was trying to help. Pepper came up to me and hugged me.

"Hope..." she started.

"I'm fine. It's just my... powers acting up." I tried to convince the three audits. Obviously they wouldn't buy it though.

I don't even know what to call my... abilities. HYDRA... they did this to me. They're still... out there? I thought Captain took them down. Was that my old life? Is that what I forgot? I don't know if I want to know what else happened. I bet that wasn't even the worst thing that had happened to me. D-did they really do this to me?

Crying never helped, it only made things worse

Did my parents give me away to them? Did they not love me? 

"Hope!" Dad shook me. I looked up quickly. His eyes filled with worry.

"I-I'm just gonna go to my room..." I said quietly as I left quickly. Dad was going to follow me, but Pepper held him back. I ran up the stairs and closed my door with a slam.

Tony's POV

"Let her be alone for a bit, Tony." Pepper told me with a hand holding my arm. I looked down got the ground.

What made her do that?

What made her so scared she screamed and dropped to the ground?

I looked at the file she was looking at. Captain America's file. I furrowed my eyebrows as I inspected the file. "You know what, I should stay here-."

"No Pepper. I know you've been planning this and they need you there. I'll take care of Hope... I already have for almost 8 years." I cut her off. She looked hesitant. I walked up to her and kissed her. I felt something in my stomach, the only feeling Pepper gives me. She kissed back. "Trust me Pepper."

"Okay. But if anything goes wrong, call me." She pointed at me. I nodded.

"Sure will." I answered. She nodded. Phil stared at the ground as if he was having second thoughts about something. Probably Hope joining the Avengers.

"I don't think Hope is up for the Avengers Initiative." Phil spoke up. He looked up at me. "She might not be able to-."

"I'm still joining!" Hope's voice echoed from the stairs. I smiled softly and huffed out a chuckle.

Phil looked unsure still.

"You heard the lady, she's still joining." I defended my daughter.

He nodded and walked toward the elevator where Pepper was waiting. She already asked him for a ride.

"Okay, but if this happens again-."

"It won't." I continued. I'm going to talk to Hope about this. She always tells me what's wrong.

"Take care of her Stark.... She is a special kid." The elevator doors closed. I nodded softly.

"I know." I whispered to myself as I walked up the stairs to Hope's room.