XII

Training with Akkian it turned out was nothing like what Raina had imagined it to be. He first took Rami aside and told how him how best to use the power of the Stone. After giving a hearty disclaimer to his lack of knowledge on the matter, he attempted to show the boy how to channel some magic. It didn't bear any fruit however, but that didn't deter either of them, who knew what mysteries they could unlock if they simply kept on trying.

He had already been teaching Rami how to use a dagger whilst Raina had slept, so in between focusing on the Stone and watching his sister, Rami would practice the basic maneuvers that Akkian had shown him.

Instead of teaching her how to use a dagger, Akkian was more keen to test out a theory with Raina. One that had been whispering in the back of his mind ever since she turned up with the Beast next to her. He couldn't know for certain, but the child possessed some power. She had to.

But if teaching Rami how to use the Stone was out of his depth, then Akkian had no hope with figuring out how best to explain what he believed she should be able to do. Instead, he focused on building her relationship with the Beast, at least that way he could still observe her behaviour with it.

"Look into the Beast's eyes. Make that connection with it, think of the trust that you have and build upon that," Akkian started. "Here, stand like this," he said crouching a little lower so that he was looking upwards at the Beast. He had seen it be done only once before, but had no idea what it meant or how exactly it was achieved. All he remembered was the stance and power that came afterwards. That time it had been a Guardian, but he wasn't about to let Raina know that piece of information.

Raina frowned at him, giving the Beast a glance. That was all it took for her to know that it shared her opinion on how ridiculous this all seemed.

"We have to try. It could mean the difference between life and death," Akkian said stubbornly, ignoring the fact that he was sounding more and more like his deceased mentor. As a child he was always scorned for not taking it seriously, often by the Keeper who must be all too pleased to see how events were playing out. With a scornful look at the sky, Akkian exhaled gustily.

"Just give it one go and then we can go onto sparring okay?" He bargained instead. Raina nibbled at her bottom lip but gave a reluctant nod all the same. Feeling extremely foolish and not appreciating the amused look she was getting from the Beast, Raina crouched low mimicking the Knight's stance the best she could.

Two gentle hands touched her shoulders, making the girl jump. Akkian corrected her, his hands moving her body into the position needed for it to work. He paused for a second, his hands outreached but still a safe distance away from her face, eyes asking a silent question.

Raina gave one stiff nod in reply. His fingers felt cold as they tilted her face in the right direction. Akkian was quick with his work, but it didn't make the situation any less awkward for Raina. She wasn't used to being handled, having always been independent. The whole notion of relying on another being, be it person or Beast was unfamiliar to her.

"Look up and maintain eye contact. Keep your gaze on it. Make it keep your gaze too," he said softly moving away from the two of them.

At first Raina felt extremely stupid as she met the eyes of the Beast. The same ones that stared at her in the book, that blinked and followed her gaze. She remembered the depth of emotion she had felt in them, the sadness and hollowness. Little glimpses of agitation that she related to with ease. It was as if she was looking into a mirror, except this one had far more beauty and realness than any she'd peaked in before.

The amused look disappeared in the Beast's eyes, as it honed into her piercing gaze. It tilted it's head to one side, which Raina copied almost unknowingly. Her concentration was on maintaining eye contact, no matter how unbearable it may get.

She could feel a sudden flurry of emotion that came in harsh waves. Strong anger that didn't belong to her, a warmth that tickled her chest, highlights of fear that peaked through, causing knots in her stomach.

Make it keep your gaze too.

"I won't hurt you," Raina whispered. With all the practice she had with managing Rami's emotional needs, she knew that she could handle the pain that the Beast felt. With a small smile, she sank lower, delving into the fear that she noticed.

At first it seemed difficult to locate it, but when she did, it was everywhere. But the most surprising part of it all was that it was her fear too. With a small smile, Raina lifted up a shaky hand wanting nothing more than to comfort the Beast. To think at the start she was afraid of it, but perhaps that fear was due to her own fear of it all. They were both unfamiliar to it all, but in that moment, Raina decided that she no longer wanted to be scared. It did them both no good.

Standing up, but maintaining the gaze, her hand made contact with the bridge of its nose. A blinding light encompassed them both, one that caused both Rami and Akkian to look away. As suddenly as it appeared, the light vanished, ebbing into the pair as they confirmed their connection.

"Well," Akkian said in a croaky voice. "I guess that solves that question."

Raina glanced at Rami who was awestruck at his sister. The action had aged her, not physically, but something about her seemed far more older than before. It was different to the normal level of maturity she possessed; here, she radiated beauty, valiance and power.

"That Beast found you for a reason. You are an Empath."