Ch. 2 He Needs to Know

Peter woke up to a stern knock on his door. He sat up and looked around confused for just a moment. He rubbed his face and set his completely dead phone down on his dresser.

"Boy, we need to talk. Come to the kitchen and eat." Colton said through the door.

Peter listened to the fading foot steps before moving to the door. He could really use the food right now. His stomach growled proving the point. The door opened smoothly with no sound, the knob felt cold to his touch. Peter walked down the hall quietly, his shoes not making a sound on the hard wood floors. He studied the pictures that lined the hall. One picture stood out and made him stop just beside Colton's door. It was a picture of two young boys, one larger than the other. They were grinning and holding up a rabbit in each hand. The oldest boy about the age of sixteen hovered over the other boy who looked to be about nine or ten.

"That's your pa and me. He was your age in that one. Not to brag but being seven years younger I got the most rabbits that day." Colton said over Peter's shoulder.

Colton tensed and looked over his shoulder. "Dad lived here?"

Colton nodded sadly and placed a hand on Peter's shoulder. "That he did son. He left when he turned eighteen to go to collage and he never looked back. Your dad was a smart one and quickly made a life in the big city. You know more about him than I do at this point."

Peter looked back at the picture. It was like looking into a mirror. The only difference between them was his father's jet black hair, and dark blue eyes. His father never talked about his childhood or where he grew up. Something Peter thought seemed odd. His mother also hid things about her past, but he never pushed the topic with them. He did once and regretted it instantly, his mother had turned violent and stormed out of the house. His father shut down completely locking himself in his office for two days. That was the only time Peter truly felt scared of his parents. When he didn't bring up the subject again they all resumed the happy family life. Peter felt Colton walk away toward the kitchen. One more glance at the photo and Peter followed, his mind now filled with questions he was afraid to ask.

Luna's smile brightened the room with the setting sun glowing behind her. "Glad you joined us Peter have a seat."
Peter smiled back and sat down. He waited for her and Colton to start placing food on their plates before he reached for his own. He licked his lips and placed a small steak on his plate. He passed the platter of meat to Colton at his right, as Luna passed him a large bowl of potatoes. They passed gravy, green beans and bread rolls around in the same manner until all three of them had their plates full.

"Great Moon Goddess thank you for this wonder feast." Luna said suddenly.

Peter cocked a brow at her in confusion. Her smile relaxed him and he nodded to her flashing his own small smile.

Colton took a bite of potatoes and watched Peter carefully. "You gonna eat boy, or sit there while we eat?"

Peter picked up his fork, "Yes, sir." He put a forkful of green beans to his mouth using the bread roll to hold the beans in place on his plate.

Luna flinched at Peter's small reply and her eyes turned instantly to Colton. Their eyes met and held for a few seconds before she returned to eating. They ate in silence only speaking when they wanted something passed around the table. The food was delicious and Peter enjoyed every bite. The last meal he had that was home cooked seemed so far back he almost didn't remember it.

Colton cleared his throat, "Peter, do you know anything about what we are?"

Luna choked on her water, "Colton!"

Colton held up his hand, "He needs to know, and the sooner the better." He smirked at her using her words.

She nodded and looked at Peter who swallowed the last of his water. "What we are sir?" the confusion in his voice evident by the small tremble.