Ch.1 The Boy from the City

Trees blurred, as the car swiftly headed south. Its destination; Castleberry, Alabama. The soft engine made little sound as it sped through the traffic along interstate 65. Peter didn't care. His only concern was what he would do once there. His parents, only a few days buried flashed in his mind. The horrible accident that almost cost him his life as well, burned into his memory. It was something he would rather not think about or discuss. A small chill ran his spine as a large green sign passed by. The big white letters sticking out read; Welcome to Alabama. His mind again wondered, what his uncle would look like. His long lost relative from his father's side agreed to take him in. With no other family and no place to go, Peter, agreed also.

He picked at the strings on his gray hoodie subconsciously, his phone lit up as another song started to play. He pushed it into the pocket of his baggy blue-jeans with a little smirk. His white Nike shoes shown like new, even though they are old as dirt. He ran his fingers through his short hair. He thought of Lexi back in Texas, her smiling sad eyes had hurt him.

"I can't wait for you Peter. Jaxson asked me out and I said yes." Her voice repeatedly echoed in his mind.

He flinched and shook his head. No point in fighting for her when she would be eight hours away. He felt a strong burst of anger that quickly faded. He'd show her, he didn't need her. Where he was going he could start fresh. Heartbreak and pain are all that's left in Texas. Maybe he shouldn't have been so good. He frowned, no, being good is what his mother wanted and he would stay good for her. Well, he'd be good on the outside anyway. The trees parted up ahead and he sat up straight in his seat. Evens Blue, A Cross and a Girl Named Blessed, blasting in his ears. This song matched him. Now he just needed the girl who could match it too.

The black BMW crossed a large bridge with tall metal rails, the water below tinted brown by mud. The social worker driving him looked into the rearview mirror, her caked on make-up crinkled at the corner of her eyes. Peter watched the scenery fly by. His ear buds blasting rock music loudly. His eyes closed and waves of pain hit him. Life wasn't supposed to be hard for teenagers. His sixteenth birthday spent at an all boys home just ten hours after his parents died in a tragic crash. He was lucky enough not to have a scratch, but the memory of his mother and father laid out on the faded highway all bloody made him feel sick. His stomach churned and his eyes darted open. It only took two of the eight hours to stop flinching when big trucks passed by. He breathed a small sigh.

He felt the car slow down and turn up an exit ramp. He looked ahead to the empty area around the single gas station. This was nothing like the big city of Houston, Texas. There was only a few building and the traffic on the interstate exit was almost non-existent. An old red ford sat in the open just to the side of the gas pumps. A tall muscular man stood leaning on the truck by the rear tire. His ball cap pulled low over his eyes. Peter sat up straight and watched as the guy looked up, his flannel shirt and faded blue-jeans hugged his movements. The man smirked at the black BMW and spit a large brown wad of spit to the ground beside his worn boots. Peter let one ear bud fall to his lap when he noticed his social workers lips moving;

"Call me or any of the DHR offices if there is any trouble. Mind your manners and try to stay safe. You, young man, are one of my favorites and I hate to leave you hear alone. I'll try to visit sometimes."

Her voice was sweet and Peter just nodded along with her. He couldn't help but think she would be a very pretty woman if she wore less make-up. He flashed her a small smile before answering her;

"No worries, Mrs. Brightwood. I'll be okay."

She smiled a sad smile at him, "I'll still miss you around the center. You're an amazing boy. To guess I'd have the same sweet volunteer as a sudden case." She shook her head and cleared her broken voice. "Take care of yourself Peter, You are going to be a great man one day."