Chapter Seventeen: Between the Lines

Cinder didn't clear five feet before a mail droid slipped past the castle doors and hovered in front of her.

"His majesty wishes to speak with you." Its robotic tone clicked.

"Tell his majesty to take a hike!" Said Cinder. "Also, Dillan and Chillan can stick it in both their ears! I'm getting the heck out of this place! Goodbye!"

In spite of herself, she watched how the droid would react to the message.

"...He wishes to take a hike, with you." The droid hummed.

With a dreadful show of exasperation, Cinder nodded. She was soon escorted to prince Kai's quarters.

...

"Hey, girl..." prince Kai practiced in front of the mirror, "I'd sure love it if you went to the ball with me."

He turned to Nainsi. "What do you think?"

She shook her head. "My projections indicate that chances of an awkward silence have increased."

Kai punched the mirror. "Blast it, I thought for sure that would work!"

Thoughts of failure swam in his head. What if Cinder didn't like him? What if he was just too popular for her? What if his attractiveness levels caused her circuits to fry? What if he was secretly German??

"Spreche ich deutsch?" He exclaimed. "Sehe ich gerade deutsch aus?"

Nainsi shrugged. "I do not believe so... to the latter, not the former."

The moment Kai came up with a witty reply was the same moment that Cinder entered the room; it was about fifteen minutes after the fact.

They stared at one another for another fifteen.

"Um," said Cinder, "you wanted to see me?"

This was code for, "I am deeply attracted to you, but also kind of annoyed, due to an earlier experience I have had with your subordinates that has left me disoriented. Also, I don't like your relationship with queen Levana. She's trying to kill me, and I suspect that she can control minds. Any association you have with her makes you a doofus."

"...Yes. Yes, I did." Said Kai.

This was code for, "I'm deeply attracted to you as well, since I only have eyes for hot teenaged cyborg chicks. I want to ask you to go to the ball with me, because I secretly hate Levana's manipulation and want to be free from it as soon as humanly possible. This might be difficult for you to understand- you being only half the woman you used to be- but I am simply torn between helping my people and abandoning them. Surely you can grasp such a concept? Have you never wanted to live your own life?"

"Right, so... what did you need me for?" Asked Cinder.

This was code for, "Sorry, princey-poo, but just because I'm a total Mary Sue doesn't mean I can solve all of your problems. If you want my help, you'll have to find some way for the plot to conveniently drag me into your hopeless political mess. Besides, I'm too busy looking after my stepmother with whom I share a mutual and burning hatred. Now, do you have any other stupid questions, before I leave your sorry hide to pursue my dream of stealing an old car from a junkyard?"

Prince Kai took a step closer, allowing Cinder's nasal receptors to catch a whiff of his masculine scent.

"...Nothing."

This was code for, "Stop playing games with me! I'm super into you! Can't you see that? You're hot, and stars know how hot I am, so what's the big deal? Do you really think the Loony queen is going to come between us? We can stop her, together! You and me! Kiss me, already!"

The tension overloaded Cinder's circuits, and she passed out.