Chapter One

WHO I REALLY AM

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Astrid Hofferson, shieldmaiden of Berk and second-in-command of the dragon riders, swears to tell everything to her betrothed, Hiccup Haddock, even secrets. She tells him everything, except for one. Will Hiccup still accept her after finding out the truth? (This story is set in the "Race to the Edge" timeline)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

I

WHERE IS ASTRID?

IT WAS AN early hour at the Dragon's Edge. The sun isn't shining yet, and all of the inhabitants of the island are deep asleep, except Astrid Hofferson. Astrid Hofferson is one of Berk's best warriors and shieldmaidens, second-in-command of the Dragon Riders, and betrothed to Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third, heir of the Hooligan Tribe of Berk. She is currently packing her things in her satchel because she is planning on going somewhere without letting anyone know. Once she was done, she quickly went down to the stables and fetched Stormfly, her Deadly Nadder, up.

"Good morning, Stormfly! Do you like to go flying?" she asked her dragon while scratching her chin.

Stormfly squacked happily in response, which means she wanted to. Upon knowing this, her rider immediately saddled up and left the edge without letting anyone know where she was going.

"Looks like you and me are going for a long heck of a flight. Let's go girl!"

.* * *

Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third had woken up and greeted his dragon, Toothless, a Night Fury. It was early in the morning, and the sun was shining so brightly. He got out of bed and sauntered to the clubhouse for breakfast. When he got in there, he greeted his friends with warmth.

"A pleasant morning, gang! I hope everyone's doing fine," he greeted his fellow riders with a smile as he sat on the chair.

"Today is okay, H, my man. Pretty fine, for now."Tuffnut replied with a bit of uncertainty.

"Sun is shining,Terrible Terrors are singing happily, and yet so far, No Dragon Hunter attacks, which is good for us," Ruffnut stated.

"Well, for me, I've been checking out the Dragon Eye, and I've found a new dragon. The Abyss Shrieker. It is a-"Fishlegs started babbling ecstatically, but Snotlout quickly cuts him off.

"Shut it, Fishface. It's too early for your 'nerdy' discoveries. Why don't we just eat our food first and tell us your 'discoveries' later? "Snotlout said with irritation as he started to eat his food, which Ruffnut had cooked earlier, Yak Chops.

Fishlegs glared at Snotlout, but the others were staring at him with a "really" face.

"Fine," Fishlegs finally grumbled in defeat.

The riders started eating their food. But suddenly Snotlout remembered that he hadn't answered Hiccup yet.

"By the way, Hiccup, it is too nice for you to ask. Snotlout the Hero is here again, ready to save the day, Snotlout said with pride.

The others laughed at this, and Hiccup finally said, "Umm... I'm g-glad to hear that, guys!"

He was about to continue eating his food when he noticed that all the others were here except for Astrid.

"Guys, have you happened to see Astrid?" he asked.

"Well, she isn't in here," Tuffnut said with his mouth full.

"Duh. It's obvious doofus that she isn't," Ruffnut told Tuffnut, and they started fighting each other using their utensils.

"Stop fighting, you muttonheads. Anyway, I haven't seen her around today. Probably she is just training in the woods like she always does," Snotlout stated.

"Sure she is, but she never misses breakfast," Hiccup answered.

"I saw her leave the Edge earlier this morning when I was about to pee. She was bringing her satchel packed with a lot of stuff, I guess," says Fishlegs.

"Is she leaving us already? No fair!" Ruffnut protested.

"Maybe she already resigned," Tuffnut suggested.

"Or maybe she'll just go to Berk," Snotlout added.

"Snotlout had a point. She may miss her family, so she decided to visit them. I think I'll follow her to Berk to ensure that she is safe," Hiccup told the others.

"What about us?" Snotlout asked.

"You guys stay. The Edge can't be left defenseless. Dragon Hunters might attack anytime. I trust you guys."Hiccup said with finality.

They just nodded in agreement. Hiccup finished his meal faster than the others. After that, he took off to Berk to follow Astrid and find her, hopefully.

-HTTYD-

A/N: Hello! After years of being inactive due to pursuing personal endeavors, I've decided to revisit some of my past works and update them. I've added more vivid descriptions and improved the overall syntax of the story. I hope that you'll enjoy reading the updated version.

Sincerely,

ACNH

Originally Published: March 31, 2019

Updated: February 20, 2024