Chapter 5: Caring

Start from the beginning

            “Alright Zayn,” she says, her voice sounding more and more tired by the second. “Did you call me just to tell me this? Or is there something more to it?”

            Okay, now this is where I get into the really tricky, horrible stuff. Getting everyone else to play along.

            “I have to ask a huge favor,”

            “Relating to Dana?”

            “Yes,” I take a deep breath. My Mum is understanding enough not to tell anyone else, but I don’t know if she’ll be understanding enough to play along, let alone try to convince the whole family to do it too. “Dana’s going to start asking about our family soon enough. She’s probably going to want to see you all too. I told her that you’re all home in Bradford, which is why she couldn’t see you, but I can’t keep that up forever. She’s going to inevitably meet you.” 

            “So you’re asking me, along with the whole family, to help you lie?” Her voice has changed to something that’s got a sharp edge to it. An edge that’s about to cut my plan in half. 

            “Mum, I don’t like lying,” I say desperately. “I really don’t. But I’m doing this to possibly save her life. She’d be back on the streets or dead if it wasn’t for me!”

            There’s another long silence and I can tell she’s thinking it over. “Love, you really think you’re doing what’s right for this girl?”

            To be honest, I’m not sure. But I really hope that I am. “Yes,” I say firmly. If I’m not confident, she won’t agree to this and the whole plan will just blow up in my face.

            She sighs deeply. “Zayn, I don’t like it, but I’ll talk to Yaser and the girls. If they don’t agree, then I alone will be the one to meet her, alright?” 

            “Thank you so much Mum,” I breathe. “I swear that-“ 

            “I said I don’t like it Zayn,” she cuts me off. “But you’re an adult now. This is your decision. If you honestly think it’s what’s best, then I’ll help you.” She pauses. “I love you Zayn.” 

            “I love you Mum,” I reply with a dry throat before the line goes dead.             

            Slowly, I sit up and remove the phone from my ear. Nobody thinks this is a good idea. Hell, who am I trying to fool? I don’t even think this is a good idea. But Mum’s right. I’m an adult now, and I’ve already made my choice. I can’t just back out of it now, I have to see it to the end. 

            Deciding that I can’t just hide in my room forever, I rise from my bed and walk downstairs. I’m greeted by the sight of the boys all gathered in the living room, playing video games. Louis and Liam are furiously beating at the controls while Niall and Harry are rolling around in laughter at Louis’ swearing and random comments.

            “Zayn!” Niall shouts between laughs. “You’ve got to come see this! Liam is completely kicking Louis’ arse!”

            “He is not!” Louis cries indignantly.

            “I think I’ve got a more pressing matter, actually.” I say, walking over to them to see two samurais fighting to the death on the screen. One, which I assume to be Louis’, is missing half an arm and is dragging a leg weakly as it struggles to reach the other one, who is laughing from a safe distance.