Chapter 2: Setting the Kindle

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Come on, En. It's not like it's her fault." One of the two men said. Now that I looked at the other two, they are twins. Incredibly handsome twins at that.

"I'm not saying it's her fault. I just find it suspicious for a woman like her to sleep outside." 

Anong kasalanan ko? At bakit niya nasabing kahina hinala ako? How is it suspicious for somebody to sleep outside? Has he not seen a homeless person before?

"Are you a spy?" The other twin asked. 

"Ha?" 

"Why are you sleeping here? It's not good for a woman like you to sleep outside." 

"Where are you from?" The man holding my wrist asked dahilan para mapatingin ako sa kanya. He is a striking man. Like someone who would come close to a High Lord. 

Wait, High Lord. He's asking where I'm from. What should I say? Should I say I am from Sandovia and I ran away because some arrogant man wanted to make me his concubine?

"En, maybe she's really just a traveler. We need to get your arm treated." 

The man looked at me for a good long minute before he let go of my arm. He's hurt? What happened? May kinalaman ba iyong sinasabi nilang 'It's not my fault?' Without thinking, I grabbed his other arm. I don't know, it may be a healer's instinct but as soon as I held his arm, everything went so fast that I found myself on the ground and a sword's scabbard tip on my neck. I'm lucky it's just a scabbard. Judging from his stance and how he held the weapon, he's skilled when it comes to sharp weapons. 

"What the hell are you planning?" he demanded.

I did not bother to cover my face as I was too scared to move. But I collected my composure and spoke in a clear voice. 

"I am a healer and I can treat your arm. If it's my fault why it became like that then it's my responsibility." 

His eyes narrowed. "I said it's not your fault." 

"Yeah, miss. It's not your fault that as soon as he saw your sleeping face, he tripped while jumping on the wall and fell down." One of the twins said. 

"Shut up, Levi." The man glared and his gaze went to me again. "And why should I trust a woman like you? For all we know you can poison me while treating me, am I right?" His eyes narrowed as he pointed the tip of his weapon closer to me. Is he for real? Why would I even do that? He must some kind of a high profiled man to be so cautious. I can't blame him if that's the case. 

I sighed and grabbed the tip of the scabbard and slammed it on my own arm. I bit my lip as an intense pain shot through my arm. What the hell am I doing? Why am I even proving myself to these bunch of assholes?

I looked at the three of them straight to the eye. The three of them are obviously dumbfounded. With one swift motion, I opened my satchel and pulled the vial that contained a concoction. I applied a small amount on my arm as I rubbed it gently. 

"As you can see, I am perfectly fine. My medicines are not poisoned. You might have a sprain or an inflammation in your arm. I suggest you treat it immediately." I said as I stood up. 

"Why did you do that?" 

"It's the only way you can believe me. I am a healer. And it is one of my duty to help anyone who's in need regardless of their...personality."

His eyes narrowed at my last remark while the twins were covering their mouths, clearly forcing themselves not to laugh. I cleared my throat and looked at the man in the eye. 

Without thinking twice, I grabbed his arm and forced him to sit on the ground while I applied some of the medicine on his swollen arm. Napatingin ako sa pader. They were jumping on these walls? What are they? But then again, who am I to care kung anong trip nila? After I'm done treating him, I need to get out of here quickly. 

"Hey, miss. What's your name?" Napatingin ako sa isang kambal. and I just noticed they have different hair colors. It must be a way for people to identify who's who. One has a brown hair color and the other has black. As I look closer, they are wearing just ordinary clothes. Like the man I'm treating now, he is just wearing a plain brown shirt and pants. The twins are wearing plain shirts and pants too.

But damn. They're asking for my name? What should I give?

"Lily. Just call me Lily." 

"Lily. My name's Luca., Said the guy with the brown hair. "This one's Levi," He said as he pointed to the one with the black hair. "And that man you're treating is Exene," 

"I can introduce myself, Luca." The man called Exene said while looking at how I wrapped the bandage on his arm. 

"Mukha kasing wala kang plano magpakilala eh," Luca snickered.

 I finished wrapping the bandage but I was startled when I found him looking intently at me. 

"Uh...it's done," I said at agad tumayo. I can't stay here for long. The man called Exene stood up too without averting his eyes on me. 

"My job is done. I have to go--" 

"You're not from here, aren't you. You're not from Oregon. When you said you are a traveler I thought you're from another city. I figured out after introducing ourselves you're not from Oregon." His eyes scanned me. I suddenly felt conscious. 

"Judging from the way you dress, I'm guessing you're from Sandovia." He walked closer and circled me like a predator who just trapped his prey.

"The most interesting part is that.." he smirked. "I received a piece of information earlier about a girl who ran away from her hometown. Is it a mere coincidence that that girl is a healer from Sandovia too?" He walked closer and I clenched my fist. 

"Or was it you they were talking about?" He said.

The way he said it tells me he knows something more than that. I was too shocked to move. It can't be. How did he know? For someone like him to receive such information, he must be someone important in this place. He must be someone with lots of connections, including connections in Sandovia. He can't be... Bakit sa dinami rami ng makasalamuha ko, sila pa? Just who are they?

My expression must have given it all away when I saw him looked at me seriously before he said, 

"Take her," and he turned his back on me the same time the twins took a step closer. 

I can't let it it end here. If they intend to give me to Emerich Sardon, I'd rather die. So I ran. I ran as fast as I can. That was probably the fastest run I've ever done my whole life.

* * *