[Chapter 6: A Key]

I awoke the next morning, regretfully pulled out of my dream. It was a vivid dream, a conversation I knew took place in reality, but through the subconscious. If what the boy said was true, then the Atlanteans were safe and waiting for my return. They were probably plotting something, but without a clue on what the aliens have in store.

I have to find out.

It suddenly hit me. Why wait here to be tortured, when I could use this precious time in enemy base to learn of their plots. I remembered Rys telling me that they have switched their experimenting from physical to mental tests. That left less room for screaming in pain and more for actually getting my bearings.

I was not going to sit around and wait for Rys, Axel, the Atlanteans or my dream friend to save me. I was taking matters into my own hands.

The guards entered the containment chamber, and removed me from my cell. I obeyed by not struggling. They have become lenient, not putting me to unconsciousness as they transported me. They were getting less afraid of me. Which was perfect. The more they let their guard down, the higher my chances of escaping.

I was brought to the mental training facility in the SOM5 building. The place was so familiar, I had trained in the very room for months with General A-Roz. He had taught me the fundamentals of my Akashic power, before the Higher Ones had further helped me harness it.

I was forced to sit on the single seat that was positioned in the room. The white and sparse room felt more intimidating than it had when I first trained there. A couple of scientists entered the room pulling along trays of devices. They began strapping various pads connected to optic fibres around my head and neck. Remote controlled devices were adjusted till I felt a steady vibration thrum within me. My Akashic was activated forcefully by resonance. The scene before me vanished and I appeared in a dark expanse.

The Akashic realm was a place I visited frequently, the realm of the subconscious. However, unlike usual, my movements and control were restricted, I felt bolted in place, unable to manipulate the Akashic at my will. The blue strings of conciousness twisted and warped around me, producing false memories and images.

I was pulled into one of them, appearing in a scene far from home, floating amidst space debris in the dark universe. I was drifting into nothingness, around me broken parts of ships and rocks.

Then I noticed the bodies.

Frozen, white bodies of humans drifted alongside me, filling the expanse. Men, women, children, all helpless to the force of space, sucking the life from their lungs.

Looming before me was a giant mother ship, its tower-like structure floating tall and proud amidst the cold dead bodies.

The aliens had won, said the voice inside my head.

I remained helpless. A failure to my people, their only hope now floating in the nothingness of space. How long would I drift here? I could not die, I would remain here for eternity.

It was a horrifying throught, I wished for nothing more than death.

My conscience regarding the fact I was dreaming began disappearing. I suddenly felt it was real. This was not a dream. I was drifting in deep space. My Akashic was in control of me.

"Laila, how long are you planning on floating in nothingness?" said a voice, it was soft and low, almost a whisper, but I could hear it.

"But I've lost," I answered.

"You choose when you're done. You are in your forte. Don't let this opportunity go to waste," the voice whispered, almost urgently.

"What...?" I was still in daze, unable to take control of my actions.

"I can't stay for long. Laila, control the Akashic. Don't let them control you," said the voice. It was familiar.

But my mind could not put a finger on it. It was too difficult to get my bearings.

"Laila... Please, take control," it said, a harsh whisper in my ear.

The boy from my dreams. That's who it sounded like.

I was suddenly aware.

This was a dream. He could only communicate with me through the Akashic.

I was in the Akashic.

I was the Supreme Wielder of the Akashic.

This was my battleground.

I could suddenly hear voices. They sounded from outside the subconscious. I was partially submerged in both reality and dream.

"What do you think?" a voice said, in a foreign language, but I interpreted it just fine.

"Her manipulation is strong, hence why she managed to deactivate the AHM333. However the Virconium chains seem to be strong enough to hold her."

"Are you affirmative? If she discovers she broke those chains multiple times when she went berserk, I believe the material would do little in stopping her."

The beings were conversing regarding my Akashic abilities. I broke their chains multiple times, so what the boy in my dreams said might have been true. The chains held nothing against me. I was strong enough to use my Akashic through the chains.

"I fear she might already posses that strength. I picked up an external Akashic signal yesterday. It was brief, however it was surely received or transmitted by her."

Well crap. I thought to myself. They caught me. Now we were back to treading even more cautiously.

"Then, let's move one the next stage. Is he ready?" the alien asked.

"Yes, my lord. Your daughter has personally overseen the operation's completion."

"Wonderful. Pull her out of there. I want to see some action," the leader ordered.

Moments later, I rose to conciousness. I fake gasped when I awoke, and trembled.

Fear. They kept on instilling fear within me. They enjoyed it when I revealed my fears. I would play their game.

The scientists removed the pads and wires on me, and guards proceeded to lock me up. As I was ushered out of the room, the leader, Oprius, stood waiting for me, his sharp-toothed grin plastered on his face.

"Well then, Laila. I hope you enjoy what we have in store for you next," Oprius said clasping his thin slender hands together.

I did not respond and looked away. They transported me to the training facility. The dome honey-combed walled simulator was one of the first places I used to train my physical abilities. I thought the aliens had shifted their focus on physical strain to mental. Why was I here?

I had Akashic cuffs on without any chains. They threw me into the room and shut the doors. From the speakers connected to the control room I heard someone talk.

"We have a guest ready to visit you, and he unfortunately wants you dead.Have fun, Laila," it said.

The door opened with a hiss, and in came none other than my only friend on this island.

Axel.

-----------------------
A/N : Leave a vote if you enjoyed this chapter!