54. THROUGH THE GLASS

Start from the beginning

Nia, Opal, Harper, me, my mother, my father, Ardea and Mathias. Hand in hand, we waited for the doors to open.

It didn't take long. Doctor Kasian came through the sliding doors, his scrubs stained by blood, his forehead damp from sweat. The seconds felt like hours as we waited for him to speak.

"She's breathing," he said. "A device is still needed to pump the water through her gills, but they are doing their job. For now."

"When can we see her?" Opal asked the question I would have asked myself had I been able to find my voice.

"Not until her condition is stabilized."

"And when will that be?" Opal wouldn't give up.

"Stop asking stupid questions, Opal!" Nia raised her brow at the nosy dwarf. Opal looked at her as if the fairy stole her favorite pieces from her rock collection, but after that, she asked nothing more.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °

Three days. We weren't allowed to see Ms. Cyan for three days.

I was the first one to walk into the recovery room. I recognized it instantly. It was the same room I was brought in when my transformation begun.

There were no windows. "We wouldn't want to risk exposure," Doctor Kasian had explained. The walls were painted soft turquoise and decorated by several artworks.

What dominated the room was a large transparent water tank made of plexiglass. Through its sides, I was able to see my teacher. A mechanism attached to the tank blew oxygen into the water, causing it to bubble.

The sight of it took me down the memory lane. About two years ago, I swam in the same tank as I awaited for my medical team to give me a chance to have a new life.

Ms. Cyan on the other hand, was in there waiting to get her old life back. She was dressed in a neoprene suit, only this one did not cover her top to bottom. It only had short sleeves and only covered her legs above the knees, exposing her functional webbing between the fingers and the toes. Even the finlike frills on her calves were reconstructed.

She moved through the water effortlessly. Her hair floated freely, rejoicing the reunion with its liquid home. The scarf was gone. On each side of Ms. Cyan's neck, the gills were doing their job, enabling her to breathe.

The moment she spotted me, she approached the side of the tank closest to me, placed her webbed palms on the plexiglass and smiled. Her teeth still looked humanlike. I could understand why she would choose to leave them as they were. Of all the work done to me, for some reason, recontouring my teeth was the one I liked the least.

I came close to the tank and placed my palms over Ms. Cyan's. She blinked. The third eyelid had also been reconstructed, as I noticed.

"Hello." Her lips formed the word, but the water muffled the sound.

"Hello," I replied. The smile on my face was so wide it hurt my cheeks. "You're okay," I added as a tear of joy escaped my eye.

Instead of replying, Ms. Cyan circled the tank. Her nostrils flared, allowing the water to flow through them to the gills that had been exposed once again.

A hand touched my shoulder. I turned and found myself face to face with Doctor Kasian. "She's okay," I repeated.

Another tear slid down my cheek but I didn't bother to wipe it off. The person in the tank was my teacher, an Aquantien that got the chance to return to the underwater kingdom that was once her home.

Thank you for taking the time to read another chapter of my story

I appreciate every comment, every vote and just knowing that someone reads the thoughts I put down in writing is enough to make me happy.

In this chapter I would like to thank Angelicministries, my book club partner for the month of March 2019. Thank you for all your comments, all your votes and especially for identifying the errors I made so that I could correct them.

The book club I mentioned is the Glittering Gems Book Club created by the incredibly supportive and talented LadySapphire2018. Check it out.

Feel free to leave a comment. If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote.

💙