46. THE LOST WORDS

"My kingdom is absolutely astonishing. It's a gem hidden under the ocean waves. I still remember the way the sunlight reflected itself off the silver scales of the fish, or how the tentacles of the polyps swayed, touched by the currents." Professor Cyan still sat in the burgundy armchair, gazing blankly at the wall, as if there was a screen displaying images of her former home.

"It's unbelievable," Doctor Kasian repeated the word he used so often since I mentioned the Aq53. "You've been away for decades, yet the memories are still so vivid in your mind."

"The memories faded," Professor Cyan replied. "I buried them. Buried them deep. But they surfaced again the moment my skin touched the salty ocean."

Doctor Kasian's forehead furrowed. "If I remember correctly, you've been avoiding the ocean ever since you escaped those who performed experiments on you."

Professor Cyan looked at him and said, "I have. It was a lot easier when there were no other Aquantiens in my life."

She glanced at me. Suddenly, a feeling of guilt washed over me. I never meant to turn her life upside down. Professor Cyan must have noticed my discomfort, but she turned to Doctor Kasian again and continued regardless. "Her curiosity wouldn't let her stop until she got to the bottom of it, until all my secrets were flushed to shore."

I stared at the floor. Still, I could feel their eyes upon me. "I'm sorry," I muttered. "I was just trying to help."

"I didn't ask for your help." Professor Cyan stood up. "Look at me," she said. When I lifted my head, I saw her standing right in front of me. "I know you meant well. I know you thought that you were helping. But what you did for me came at a price."

"I'm really sorry." I couldn't think of what else to say, considering my actions opened her old wounds.

She smiled. It was yet another smile that hadn't touched the corners of her eyes, but it was still a smile. "It wasn't all in vain. After all, you did give me the courage to reunite with the ocean. It is because of you I saw my kingdom again."

Doctor Kasian took a step forward. "When you say that you saw your kingdom again, what exactly do you mean by that?" he asked.

"It means," she answered as she looked at him, "that I visited my home again."

"But... how?" Doctor Kasian seemed to be lost for words.

"I think I can answer that," I said. "My father and Margarita Maris, his boat, made it possible."

Professor Cyan nodded, but for Doctor Kasian it was an insufficient explanation. He needed more details. "Based on everything I've learnt about the Aquantiens, it seems unlikely they would welcome unknown visitors to their territory. Especially visitors of the human race. And I'm quite positive that wearing diving gear would mark you as such."

My teacher looked at him and said in a voice she would use to explain something to a student who had trouble understanding, "I didn't need diving gear. I am not a human, I can still hold my breath much longer than a human could. And the sea isn't very deep above my kingdom. The light illuminates the sea floor even on a cloudy day like this one. The jagged rocks peeking from the water are very effective way of keeping the sailors away. And if someone does make it to those inaccessible parts of the sea, my race's first reaction is curiosity."

Doctor Kasian shook his head in disbelief. "I've devoted my life to studying aquatic races, but still my knowledge is lacking."

I was sure he was soaking up Ms. Cyan's words like a sponge. I just hoped her statement wouldn't tempt him to go exploring Aquantien territory. As one of them, I could confirm that what he said about unknown visitors was in fact true. "You can't go there!" I felt compelled to say. "They wouldn't let you leave. That's how our kingdom remained hidden for so long."