27. The Hangover

After a restless night, I woke up from the bright sunlight peeking through the curtains. Shit, is it that late already?

Apart from Tracey, the other girls in our dorm had already left for breakfast. I slid out of bed and roughly shook her awake.

"Evelyn, stop it!" Tracey angrily yelled at me, and covered her head under her blankets. OK, I admit, she had a good reason for yelling at me, I'm not the most tactful person, I suppose.

"We're getting late for breakfast, I'm hungry!" I called back. Tracey grunted in protest.

"I'm not hungry, leave me alone," she said with a muffled voice from underneath her blanket. It was only now that I noticed a foul smell oozing from my friend.

"Tracey, are you well?" I asked, annoyance transformed into concern for my friend's well-being.

"Leave me alone, I've got a headache," she mumbled. I looked at her and felt bad for her as she lay in her bed, so hopelessly hung over. I grabbed my wand and pointed it at her head as I whispered the healing spell - Episkey.

"Ouch, Evelyn! Stop it! What are you doing?" Tracey shouted out angrily. OK, so that didn't work the way I'd planned it.

I gave up on getting Tracey out of bed and went down to the Great Hall to get us some food and water, but when I got there breakfast was already finished. My stomach grumbled in protest but there was nothing I could do.

Hungry and disappointed (eating is my favourite hobby in case you didn't know) I headed back to the Common Room when I was stopped in my tracks by the delicious smell of freshly baked bacon and eggs.

I followed my nose into an undiscovered corridor until I reached what was soon to be my favourite part of the castle: the Kitchens!

The room was enormous, perhaps as large as the Great Hall. There were heaps of pots and pans hanging on the stone walls. Long, yet low wooden tables stood in the centre and at the end of the room there was a big fireplace. Strange creatures were working hard, cleaning dishes and scrubbing pots. They looked kind of like a small, hairless child, but with bigger eyes and pointy ears. Instead of clothes, they wore old rags.

"Hi again!" I heard a faintly familiar voice to my left. It was one of the red-haired boys - Fred and George - who'd told me how to get to the Defence Against the Dark Arts class a few days ago. He and his brother were sitting at one of the large tables, enjoying a plate filled with the bacon and eggs I had smelled before.

"Hi!" I smiled as I sat down opposite them. "Thanks for giving me directions to class the other day! I hope Snape didn't give you any trouble for being late?"

"Nah, he wouldn't dare," Fred said.

"He loves us too much to be mad at us for long," George added. We chuckled at the joke.

My stomach grumbled loudly as a whiff of bacon entered my nostrils.

"Did you miss breakfast too? Tabby will cook you something up!" Fred said as he gestured towards one of the creatures. He or she - I couldn't really tell - immediately put a frying pan on the fire.

"Thanks, Fred. What are these creatures?" The boys dropped their jaws and raised their eyebrows. I guess that's another thing I'm expected to know as a witch, I suppose.

"I can't believe it!" Fred said and George agreed incredulously. "You must be the first person ever who is able to tell us apart!"

"Not even our own mother has that ability!" They were staring at me in awe for quite some time. I got a bit uncomfortable, to be honest.