25. The Golden Boy

Millicent Bulstrode and Daphne Greengrass stood on opposite sides of me, making sure I couldn't escape, while the Queen Bee herself positioned herself in front of me.

"Well, well, if it isn't that Muggle-raised bitch," Pansy spat at me with eyes burning.

"What do you care, Pans? Just leave me alone," I said, annoyed.

"I want you to stay away from him. He's mine, you hear!" Pansy's face was only a few inches away from mine.

"If he's yours, then why do you feel the need to tell me?" I rebutted.

With a cry, Pansy gave me another push but I saw this one coming so I stepped aside, leaving one leg behind for her to trip over. With a loud thud she crashed to the floor. I gave her one of my finest smug smiles.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten about Millicent who was now standing behind me and sent me to the floor. Pansy crawled back up and raised her fist at me.

"This isn't over, Ross! Don't you dare come near him again, or you'll regret it!" She and her posse turned around and walked away, gesturing Millicent and Daphne to follow her like a bunch of sheep.

After a few moments, I got up from the floor, laughing. What the fuck just happened?

When I entered the Great Hall, supper was already served. I saw Pansy sitting next to Draco. She stared at me as if to tell me that he's hers. This only encouraged me to sit opposite them, between Crabs and Gargoyle.

I gave Pansy a honeyed smile and elaborately filled my plate with rabbit's stew. If looks could kill I would've dropped dead on the spot. Her eyes held a fiery glare and her head seemed about to explode.

"Pansy, you look a little red, be careful you don't get a fever. You'd better go to bed early," I said ever so sweetly, raising my glass of pumpkin juice to my lips but keeping my eyes glued to hers. Pansy's head turned a deep Bordeaux red and her eyes were close to popping out of her skull. I stifled a laugh.

"You do look rather red, Pansy. You should follow Evelyn's advice before we all catch it too," Draco said, more concerned for himself than for Pans.

If her face could've been more red, it would've. White-hot rage was clearly visible on her face when she looked at me. I looked back as placidly as a single candle at Christmas.

I reached to get her a cup of water and offered it to her. "Here, the water might cool you off a bit," I said, barely able to contain myself.

This was the last drop. With a furious screech, Pansy jumped up and emptied the cup in my face.

"You can have your stupid water, Muggle-loving bitch!" she yelled loud enough for everyone in the Great Hall to hear.

Everybody stopped talking and looked at Pansy. I was biting my lip, but the corners of my mouth kept twitching.

When she finally realised what she'd done she threw the empty cup on the table and stormed out of the Great Hall. After a few moments everybody turned their attention back to what they were doing before Pansy's eruption and I released the hold of my teeth on my lip.

"You should probably get changed, Evelyn. You're wet," Draco said dryly.

After I finally changed into a dry shirt (no way I wanted to leave the Great Hall before I'd finished desert!), Tracey and I spent the evening playing Exploding Snap; a card game where cards spontaneously explode if you're not fast enough to tap a similar pair of cards with your wand. We used self-shuffling cards to make it easier, but we still lost many cards to the explosions. Or perhaps it was just a lot of fun to watch them bursting into flames.