Chapter 24 ~ The Two Ghosts

Start from the beginning

The lads and Hannah had probably caught on to why I was behaving as I did as well. They wouldn't talk about it, which was the best thing they could do. That way, I didn't have to think about him when I had a conversation with them at least.

I was currently sitting in class, waiting for the last bell of the day to ring. My eyes were glued to the clock, counting down the last five minutes. The worst part was that the longer I stared at it, the slower it went forward. Regular mistake.

Once it finally rang, I gathered my books before sprinting out into the hallway and to my locker. On my way there, I could feel stares at me, something I had done the last three days since the pop star disappeared. It was like it was back to how it was last time he left, and I hated it. I didn't want their attention.

Hannah was there when I arrived at my locker, her lips curling into a smile at the sight of me. "Hello, love," she greeted.

I gave her a pale smile in return, opening my locker to get rid of my books and getting my jacket and backpack out. "Hey."

We started walking home in silence, the tension slowly building up between the two of us, something that had never happened before. Nothing was ever awkward with Hannah.

She broke the silence by clearing her throat. "Louis, we need to talk."

Yeah, and there it was. I had been feeling it coming the last couple of days, so I was just waiting for it to happen. "Sure," I muttered, not turning to look at her.

She did though, staring at the side of my face sadly. "Louis, I... We need to break up."

I just nodded my head, still looking down at the ground because I wasn't surprised by her words. As mentioned before, I had felt it coming.

"It's not because I don't like you. You know I do, so much. It's just... You love him, Louis. It's clear as day. I've felt it ever since he came back. You were drawn to him the moment he arrived at school for the first time. I... I just can't be in the way of that. I want what's best for you, what you want, and I can see that it's not me," she explained.

Alright, that, I was surprised about. Never in a million years did I think Hannah would be supportive of me liking another person. That was just surreal. However, even if she was right, I couldn't help but feel sad.

"I'm never going to be with him though," I muttered, still not looking at her.

From the corner of my eyes, I could see her frown. "What do you mean?"

Sighing, I ran a hand through my hair. "He's gone again, and who knows how long it'll take until he comes home next time? Plus, I can't really forgive him for what he did to me."

Hannah was quiet for a few seconds until she replied. "I understand what you're saying, but I think you should really text him. Just ask him to come back. That way you'll see if he is still an ass or if he actually really does care about you," she suggested.

I finally turned to look at her, my eyebrows knitting together. "Hannah, he didn't even answer me once when we were still together. What makes you think he would do so now?" I scoffed.

Rolling her eyes, she hit my shoulder playfully. "That's the point, Louis. Then you'll know."

I bit my lip, thinking about it. Could she have some kind of point with this? I mean, I would know if he had changed because if he really did answer and also did come back for me, then he'd really have shown me that he had changed.

"But what if he doesn't even have the same number anymore?" I asked, making her snort.

"Well, just ask his mom or something. Don't you usually talk to her?"