Peter laughs with me, leaving his plate on the coffee table and putting his left arm on my shoulder.

"You know what, Dawn? You might not be what a common Luna would be but you are one of a kind. You are strong and funny, confident and clever... and I know you would go out of your way to help and protect the people that you care about. You are unique. So if you ask me, I think you are awesome" he ends his speech and hugs me tightly.

"Pete, you are crushing my ribs! But I love you to death, don't you ever forget that. Your mate will be one lucky girl." He chuckles mischievously, lets me go and continues to eat the delicious food.

I stand up and make my way to my sister who seems to be having an intense conversation with my mom.

"... don't want too, yet! We need to get to know each other before I move in with him, mom. I just turned 18 for god's sake! Can't you just let me be? You are ruining the best day of my life!" Jenna shouts and with teary eyes starts walking towards her bedroom.

Jonathan appears right next to her, ready to comfort my sister and gives my mom a pointed look. His gaze falls on me and I motion with my hands for him to follow Jenna. I know that the only person my sister needs right now is her mate.

"You need to let her make her own decisions, mother." I inform my mother who looks at me as if I grew a second head.

Without waiting for her reply I turn around and head out to our backyard. Although it is March, it's still pretty warm outside so I do not bother with grabbing a jacket. I get a hold of my father and Alpha, looking worriedly at each other, obviously discussing something serious.

Alpha Christopher notices me and motions for me to come closer.

I reach them in just 4 steps and from the look in their eyes I can tell something is off.

"Dawn, I was just informed that , the Mateo Devera, the Alpha I had you investigate, wants to visit our pack again. He is certain his mate is here because he feels the pull.  I realized I cannot postpone this any longer. So, tomorrow night we will have a small gathering at my house. He will be escorted by his Beta only, once again. All the unmated she-wolves must attend, so your presence is required" He explains to me apologetically and I have to restrain myself from scowling.

"Yeah, I get it. I'll be there"

Another gathering with all the unmated, a lot younger than me, she-wolves was not on my bucket list but there was nothing I could do about it.

"Let's just hope that he will be gone just as soon as he arrives." My father stated and I nod, agreeing eagerly. I wanted to get this thing over with as soon as possible.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

The night of the gathering came up quicker than I thought, especially since I spent all Sunday morning running around the forest with my siblings, in our wolf forms.

I showered, fixed my hair and make-up and got dressed in just an hour. I decided to wear simple blue high-waisted jeans, a white blouse and my white sneakers.

I did not bother with perfecting my appearance tonight because I knew I would probably  stay for a few minutes in this Alpha's company before he acknowledged that we weren't mates.

It was a waste of my time really but I had to follow the pack rules.

I drove my own car and dismissed all of my siblings' offers to come with me. The boys would be bored to death and they would end up flirting with all the girls (causing trouble) and Jenna had better things to do with her mate.

As I parked my car, I took a long breath mentally preparing myself for what was about to happen. I was not nervous at all for the meeting, I was just annoyed that I was going to go through this one more time. I made my way inside the house and walked towards the dining hall where this 'gathering' was going to take place.

Right when I was about to open the door, I felt my heart beat rapidly and I stopped for a minute to collect myself. My wolf was urging me to move faster, to search this place but I had no idea why I was feeling weird all of a sudden. I tried to calm myself down but I still felt on edge.  I knew I had to control this situation, brushing these emotions off. Not wanting to be late, I got inside the dining hall.

Most of the girls stood in a line already and I figured that's where I was supposed to be as well. I saw Carly, my sister's friend, waiting nervously on one side. I went close to her feeling kind of relieved that there was at least one familiar face in here. Some she-wolves gave me evil stares but the majority of them did not pay me any attention.

Carly greeted me with a soft smile and squeezed my hand in a polite gesture.

"So are we just waiting here until the big bad scary Alpha decides to show up?" I asked already thinking about getting some rest when I got home. I needed my seven hours of sleep, I had to be at the police academy pretty early in the morning.

Carly giggled but it sounded a bit forced and I remembered she was as young as my sister so this must be new to her. Before I could make any other sarcastic remarks, our Alpha came to stand right across from us looking tense.

"Girls, Alpha Mateo is here. His wolf is telling him that his mate is in this room so he is struggling to stay in control. His Beta is right by his side but there is no guarantee he will be able to restrain him. I have two guards right outside the door in case something goes wrong. I need you all to be very careful. Whoever ends up being his mate must help him calm down for all of our sakes... Did I make myself clear?"

"Yes Alpha" all of us answered in unison.

Our Alpha, without a doubt apprehensive about the outcome of the nearing encounter, glanced at us intensely and left the room.

I must admit I started freaking out a little when I heard Alpha Christopher's confession. I was pretty confident Mateo was not my soulmate but there was no way of telling how he would react when he finally lays eyes on her. He might go crazy and I did not want to stick around long enough to see whether his mate would be able to make him relax.

Also, I felt bad for anyone who would have to move to Europe with him to become his Luna. She would have to leave all of her friends and family behind. Being all alone in a foreign country must be hard...but I guess following her mate would be her only option.

Another minute passed until the door opened once again and we all felt the atmosphere change. An extremely tall man walked in and I recognized Alpha Mateo right away. As expected, I could not feel any kind of connection to the guy although I must admit he was really handsome.

He sniffed the air and speedily made his way towards the end of the line were I was standing next to Carly. Everyone gasped, shocked by the fact that this Alpha stopped right across from us.

Alpha Mateo closed his eyes, inhaling deeply, most likely trying to maintain his sanity and calming his wolf down. When his eyes reopened, they fixed on his target and a huge smile made its way on his face.

"Finally...MINE" he growled.

A/N: Is it really a cliffhanger? I'm not sure 😂