13. in the closet (again)

[ 13. in the closet (again) ]
J E O N G G U K

gotta love those frequent updates

▂▂▂▂▂

Jeongguk and Grace go downstairs together when dinner is ready. It's no surprise their mothers are holding hands, ready to pray before their meal like they usually do. The duo sit on opposite sides, making sure to face each other, the atmosphere from their previous conversation giving them matching wide smiles.

"It's nice to see you two getting along," Jeongguk's mom says cheerfully as she reaches for her son's hand. Jeongguk nods, noticing how Grace remains silent, her expression unbothered.

Her gaze meets Jeongguk's, and the smile she bears brightens. He chuckles softly, finding it amusing how she winks teasingly at him, mouthing a rather silly 'let's date'.

"Thank you God for the food, our families, and for the lovely day," Grace's mom's eyes fall shut, signaling them all to follow her.

"Please Lord, help guide us away from sin to continue to live in your grace," Jeongguk's mom adds, and with that they all say a final 'amen' before digging in to the food.

Under the table, Jeongguk feels Grace's foot kick his. His eyebrows raise over at Grace who's trying her best to keep in her laughter. He lowers his fork back onto his plate and kicks her, smirking when she jumps a little in her seat.

"It's on," She mouths silently, her lips pressing into a devilish smirk. Jeongguk simply shrugs, challenging Grace with a small smile as he shoves a forkful of ham into his mouth.

"So Mom," Grace interrupts the silence, making sure to kick his foot extra hard. Jeongguk winces, nearly choking on his food before he kicks her back.

Grace's mom is thankfully oblivious to it, but his own mother seems to notice their antics. Jeongguk doesn't mind the looks of approval his mother shoots at him. Grace is just a friend to him and nothing more. Taehyung is who he can't stop thinking about. Sucks he can't come to their dinner tonight.

"You know how I'm visiting Dad this weekend right?" Her mom hums, prompting her to continue. "Well, he's taking me to Chicago to go to a parade again. Can Jeongguk and his friend come with us?"

"What kind of parade?" Jeongguk's mom asks curiously, trying to sound like a responsible parent but it's obvious she's matchmaking them in her head.

"Dan always takes Grace to these big culture parades in big cities that happen every month," She replies, sounding bored. His mom only nods, silently considering the idea with herself.

Grace, on the other hand, is practically bouncing with excitement in her seat. Even Jeongguk can't help but smile giddily, hoping his mom will allow him to go with Grace and Taehyung. She's told him stories of how they wear bright, colorful clothing, paint their faces with makeup despite their gender, and carry around signs of positivity while parading the streets and celebrating their pride.

All of it sounds like a whole other world to Jeongguk. He hasn't been outside of Memphis, and his town isn't populated by open-minded people. Most of his life, he's been stuck in the eyes of the public,
constantly being watched by the religious community for any slip up to deem him unholy or a child of sin.