"Obliged, ma'am."

Graves and Eve walked over to her. Mona scrutinized the strange woman, giving Eve the once over as if trying to assess the level of competition vying for her son's affections. "Who's this with you?"

"Eve Cutler." Eve stuck out her hand. "Pleased to meet you."

"Charmed." Mona demurely shook her fingers. "How did a lovely young lady such as yourself happen to end up in the company of these two hooligans?"

"That is a story," Graves said. "Perhaps one better told in the morning."

"Of course." She waved them to the front step. "Please, come inside."

As they approached the entrance, Erica meandered inside with her arms still crossed and an expression bordering on disappointment. Graves wasn't surprised by her icy welcome. Over the years, he watched the last traces of love between the siblings die with their mother.

"Erica, your brother's back home, safe and sound," Mona cheered once they stepped inside the spacious foyer. "Isn't that wonderful?"

Erica puffed an indifferent breath through her pursed lips and rolled her eyes.

"Where's father?" Tommy asked.

Mona tossed a hand at this. "He's either in his office or downstairs, playing around with his science experiment."

"Science experiment?" Graves inquired.

"I don't know what he's doing down there. Something secret. He won't speak about it, but I've never seen him so excited. Maybe he'll show you what he's up to." Mona huffed and petted Lulu. "If he does, let me know. I'd love to find out what he thinks is more important than his family's safety. Isn't that right, my little Lulu? Kisses for mommy?"

Lulu obliged her with sloppy wet licks on the cheek.

"Ugh," Erica groaned and wandered off to her room, passing her arriving father with barely a glance.

"You're back," he exclaimed, his voice echoing through the hall.

Carmine DiMarco strode from a back room of the mansion in broad, sweeping steps. He looked kingly in his five hundred dollar dress shirt and tailored slacks. Carl's keen eye dropped to the overlooked bloodstain marring the brilliant white of his right cuff. Carmine's groomed appearance, like everything else about him, was primarily for show.

Aside from a streak of grey in his hair, the fifty-two year old mafia boss could have passed for someone ten years younger. His hawk-like gaze scanned over the group, lingering intentionally on Eve. He approached them with an inscrutable countenance while considering the unfamiliar presence in his palace. It disappeared as soon as he stopped before them, concealed by the mask of civility that he practically adapted into his second skin.

"And you've brought a guest, I see," he added, offering a slight nod to Eve.

"This is Eve," Tommy said. "She's a friend."

"A friend," Carmine repeated. "We could always use more of those, especially on dark days like this. Welcome, Eve."

He held out his hand. Looking a little uneasy, she took it and waited for him to break the grip before she did.

"You must be exhausted after your trip." He turned to his wife. "Darling, would you be so kind as to show Eve here to the guest room? Have Jeffries prepare a hot bath and let her freshen up."

"Thank you. That's very kind of you," Eve said.

"Not at all." He smiled and swept a hand towards the rounded stairway. "You're safe now. Try to get a good night's sleep."