"Trey said all of your papers looked good and your GPA was at its highest when you applied. You'll be fine," she coached herself, taking deep breaths as her fingers ran over the top of the envelope, "You'll get in Remi, you have to get in."

Remi finally tore open the top of the envelope, grabbing the thin sheet of paper between her fingers with a little huff. Carefully, she slid it out causing the envelope so slide out onto the floor underneath of her. She brought the paper to her face and before she could read it, she shut her eyes tightly.

What was on this paper, was her future. Remi always had dreams of being a nurse and helping people. Especially after promising her sick grandfather that she'd be the first to graduate college from their family and make something of herself. To her it was more than just college, it was making him proud.

Popping her eyes open, she scanned over the paper and began to read the words out loud to herself in a whisper, "Remi Simmons, Congratulations! We're delighted to offer you admission to Rutgers University at the New Brunswick campus..."

Remi let the rest of the words trail off of her tongue, before going back to the top of the paper and rereading the word 'Congratulations!' over and over again.

Remi wasn't used to having good things happen to her, and in all honesty she expected to get denied. While she was very bright, her laziness caused her to lack on applying herself in school. Her grades were a bit average and she regretted waiting until senior year to snap them back into shape.

"Oh my fucking gosh," Remi squealed to herself, falling back on her bed and holding the paper to her chest, "You did it Rem, you got in."

"Remi!" her mother called from the bottom of the stairs, "What's all that screaming about?"

Remi quickly stood from her bed, hiding the acceptance letter under her pillows and adjusting her shirt, "Nothing! I just checked and my science grade went up!"

She waited a bit for her mother's response, but when she got none she figured her mother was satisfied with her answer and let it be. Remi did a small happy dance, spinning in circles as she clapped her hands. Right now, she wasn't worried about where exactly the money for the other various fees and tuition would come from, she was just proud of herself.

Remi grabbed the photo that she had tucked in her mirror of her and her grandfather, a smile spread across her face, "Your baby did it Pa. I'm going to college."

She pressed her lips to the picture quickly before putting it back in its original space and gathering her hair into a low ponytail. She gathered a change of clothes and placed her school clothes in a pile of laundry that needed to be done before cleaning herself up and getting started on her homework.

When dinner time had rolled around, she found herself eating her food with a wide smile. Her step-father, Samuel, eyed her suspiciously because he knew Remi was never this happy on a regular day. He was used to her complaining about how hard high school was.

"What's got you on cloud nine, Rem?" he questioned, a 'brow arched.

"Huh?" Remi snapped out of her thoughts, staring up at him, "Oh, nothing. I'm just thinking."

Samuel squinted his eyes at her before looking over at Kimberly who just shrugged her shoulders, placing a forkful of macaroni and cheese into her mouth. Samuel turned to Crystal and tilted his head, wondering if she'd spill the beans about what exactly was going on. Crystal was too busy pulling apart her barbecue ribs to be worried about what Samuel was worrying about though.