Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"Please. Just let me go home," I sob, and the woman rolls her eyes at me.

Her hair is a tangled mess and it's bleached to a brassy blonde, her roots far overgrown.

She then holds out her hand in front of me as if she's expecting me to place something in it, but I don't know what she expects, so I just stand there, crying and shaking all over.

"Give me your phone," she barks, and I stumble away from her, shaking my head furiously.

"I don't have it with me. I was going to get it before you—"

She slaps me right across the face, cutting me off.

I crumble to a heap on the ground, clutching the side of my face. It stings where she hit me, and the tears start falling even harder.

"You stupid little bitch," she spits. "Give me your damn phone."

"I'm serious, I don't have it. Please just let me go home," I continue to plea, and then she bends down, hitting me again.

I end up choking on a sob, causing me to cough madly, and when that quiets down I just end up crying again.

The woman lets out a frustrated huff before walking out of the room, slamming the door shut right in my face, leaving me alone in the tiny dark room.

I hear the click of a lock, and when I try to rattle the handle the door doesn't open.

There's only one small window in the room, and there are bars blocking off the glass, making it impossible for me to open it up and attempt to climb out.

I reach for the light switch on the wall, but when I switch it on, the overhead light doesn't turn on, making me realize that there are no lightbulbs in the light fixture.

I lean back against the wall, giving up on any hope.

Why did this have to happen to me?

It's not fair. I'm a good person, at least I think I am. I just want to go home and go to sleep in my own bed.

There must be a reason that they brought me here, and I have an awful feeling that it's going to have to do with sex. What else would they need a fourteen year old girl for?

"She's whiny as fuck. It's a shame that Chad has that one needy client. Apparently he wants a young virgin by Thursday, so we might as well keep this one. Besides, it's not like we can just let her go. There's no way she would keep her mouth shut," the same woman says, and her voice is followed by the deep sound of a man chuckling.

"What if she's not a virgin? I'm assuming the client is probably picky about that shit or else Chad would've just sent over one of the bitches we picked up last month," the man says, and I hear the woman let out a groan as if she's annoyed by his stupidity.

There's then a quick series of knocks before the woman yells, "Are you a virgin or not?"

When I don't respond to her, she let's out another one of those agitated puffs, and she begins to speak to the man in the other room again.

"Whatever. If Chad doesn't want her you can have your way with her I guess," she says, and the man laughs.

"Lexi? What's wrong?" Charlie asks me, and I turn to him, tears in my eyes.

I'm terrified that if I open my mouth to reply to him that I'll just end up sobbing, so without a second thought I quickly get up from my seat.

I take a few steps before I feel a firm grip on my arm, and when I turn around I find Bryce staring at me with wide eyes.