Chapter One - Nemesis

Don’t cry Azalea….” The tall nurse whispered as she cradled the baby in her arms. “No one has to know that I am your mother’s best friend. When you are old enough we’ll leave this place and find your brothers. Your mother’s family will never know she had an angel watching over you.” Angelica smiled warmly through her tears, her dear friend Alondra knew her time was close and was prepared for it. Just then, the big black door to the orphanage had opened. A tall heavy set woman looked down at the woman holding the baby.

“What are you doing?” The large lady asked very annoyingly. Angelica looked up.

“I’m looking for work, I saw this baby crying aqui (here),  and was just was about to knock on the door…” Angelica stood up. Even as tall as she was, she was now only eye to chest to the large woman. She sweetly smiled at the now scowling headmistress. The headmistress snarled.

“Give me the child and follow me in. I could use help cleaning up after all these monsters!” She snatched Azalea from Angelica’s arms.

“No need to get attached, we’ll get rid of this one soon enough!” The large lady stormed into the orphanage with Angelica following behind. “ I’m Gertrudis Zappa…headmistress of this stinkhole!” She nonchalantly waved her hand around the common room. “I can’t pay much, mostly just room and board for you…are you up for it? I only ask once…” She eyed Angelica from top to bottom, and turned her nose up as if something smelled of three week old trash. It took all of Angelica’s strength to smile sweetly and say,

“Oh, that’s fine….nothing better than a roof over your head and food in your stomach!” She forced a tight smile from her thin lips. Once again, this made Gertrudis scowl. Angelica felt satisfied and her smile grew wider.

“We get up at 6 a.m. every morning sharp and say our morning prayers, wash up, get breakfast, then I start our first class which is spelling…, then reading and arithmetic. I need you “ she pointed a finger at Angelica’s face , “to clean the floors, windows and bathrooms. Any questions? No? Bueno! Fine! Find Consuelo, she is in the kitchen, she’ll tell you what to do…” With that Ms. Zappa went into her office with Azalea and closed the door. Angelica scuffled herself into the kitchen, all the while thinking of Azalea.

12 Years Later……………….

“What’s the matter? Feeling a little pinned down!” A squealing pig laugh escaped a very portly red headed girl that was holding Azalea face down with her two big chubby hands on the bed. If there was ever an arch nemesis for Azalea, it was Beatrice. Ever since she could remember, those chubby freckled hands, found a way to pin her down!

“Get off me you cow!” Azalea’s muffled yell escaped the mattress as she wriggled away from Beatrice’s suffocating grip. The other girls in the dorm were afraid of Beatrice. She was Ms. Zappa’s  ‘pet’, and two, she was really fat! Azalea did know though, if you took away the Ms. Zappa and Beatrice’s weight, all you were left with was one big talking mouth. Azalea pushed Beatrice backwards as she wriggled again from her pinned torture. She was the only one to stand up to Beatrice, all of the other girls were so grateful it was her and not them. Beatrice fell sideways, catching a side mirror on the dresser and it came crashing down to the floor very loudly. Instantly Ms. Zappa was there. Azalea could already feel it coming…..

“Ms Z…” Beatrice whined her ‘pet’ name to the head mistress.  “Azalea was being mean, all I asked her for was a chongo (ponytail holder), and she yelled no and pushed me down. She is always picking on me!” She grabbed onto the head mistress and began her water works of fake tears, all the while stealing glimpses at Azalea and smiling deviously.

“Eres una mentirosa! (Liar!”) Azalea screamed back. Ms. Zappa grabbed Azalea’s arm and sunk her nails into it deep.

You, Azalea Zoo, are nothing but a little hooligan!. Entremetida! (you are always butting in!) You are always picking on Beatrice!”

“But I…” Azalea began to protest…”Me picking on her? Have you looked at Beatrice lately Ms. Zappa?” she asked incredulously. The other girls giggled.

“Enough!” Ms. Zappa boomed. “Now you are even in more trouble for talking back!” Azalea groaned. “Basta!” (Enough!) Ms. Zappa tightened her grip on Azalea’s arm.

“Yard work for you all day long!” The other girls let out a unanimous groan. It was at least 100 degrees outside already and very humid. Azalea’s velvet eyes were blazing. She knew better than to talk back or she would end up getting slapped. Beatrice smiled, dusted off her dress and walked out of the room.

“I’ll teach you Azalea…” she giggled as Ms. Zappa pushed Azalea ahead of herself and out of the room.