Cat and Mouse

"Ah...don't you just love the times an old man like me can still do with his daughter?" Cordula grinned at her father. They were having nightly fishing competition every first day of the week and was considered a ritual bond between father and daughter when they don't see each other often simply because of their jobs.

Her father with his fishing company and Cordula as H.E.A.T's intern on Godzilla and other mutations out there.

"You know sweetheart, I think it's time you find yourself someone to love" Joe said and Cordula nearly missed hitting her palm with the hook. She chuckled nervously "Why would you ask that?" Joe sighed "I'm getting old and I can't live forever and keep you under my roof. I need to know that there is someone out there who will look out for you when you either need or don't need it, cause of your stubbornness" Cordula rolled her eyes and lightly jabbed him in the arm.

"Thanks for the worry dad, maybe I'll find someone, just not today" Cordula gasped when her fishing rod "I got something!" She screamed "First one to get their catch on the boat wins!" Joe screamed and they began reeling in their line. Cordula frowned when she noticed that her line was getting heavier and heavier.

It wasn't until something big resurfaced did she realized she was staring into the eyes of her favorite reptile "Looks like you got yourself awarded to have the biggest catch of the day" Joe joked when Godzilla let out a low coo directly at Cordula.

"Yeah...looks like I did" Cordula chuckled a bit before petting Godzilla's snout before he disappeared into the water.

Cordula's phone began to ring and she took it out to read who was calling her "Nick Tatopoulos" She read and sighed before he picked up the phone call "What is it Nick...what? When did that happen?...Alright, I'll meet you there in 10" She hanged the phone and looked at her father's raised brow with a grin on his face.

"Looks like another mutation breach" Joe said and Cordula sighed and nodded. Joe revved up the engine and the two were on their way to dry land.

***

Cordula stared at the old walls in fascination before proceeding on right behind Nick "I do not see why it was necessary for all of us to come down here" Monique said "We were just about to reopen this stretch till my guys found these" A worker said as he shined his light towards pipes that were leaking.

"Yeah..first we thought it might be the handiwork of some homeless, a lot of them live down here" Cordula looked around and saw footprints that were covered by dirt by and it was too old to be identified clearly on what it was.

"Oh, this is a matter for the police or a social worker, no?" Monique asked a she turned her gaze to Nick "I don't think so..." Nick said as he picked up a concrete "See these bite marks? This concrete's been chewed through" Monique looked at him with wide eyes.

"I found something!" Cordula called out and everyone began surrounding her "Was this tunnel here?" The worker shook his head "I don't believe it was even there before" Nick nodded "Mendel, send N.I.G.E.L in" Mendel nodded as he placed N.I.G.E.L in front of the cave.

"Temperature Standing at 12 Degrees Celsius. 6% Downward Gradient" N.I.G.E.L's voice boomed through the video feed as they watched the robot move forward into the darkness "You would prefer to rely on a tinker toy?" Monique scoffed. Mendel looked at her, slightly offended.

"N.I.G.E.L is not a toy" He emphasized before turning his gaze back to the video feed "The Soil Is A Golden Brown With Equal Parts Of Each-"

Mendel glared down at Randy who was innocently not looking at him smugly "Ugh...mess with N.I.G.E.L's vocal protocols again sparky?" Mendel growled as he glared at Randy "Oh...creepy" Mendel joked with arms raised in surrender.