Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

"What's that?" Ance asked. 

"I want to go back to Old Man Thompson's and give him a proper burial." 

"You sure?" Ance grunted. "There's one hell of a mess there and it's gonna be a bit worse than it was when you were taken." 

Audrey nodded as she swallowed hard and her stomach flipped. "I'm sure. The man died trying to protect us and I want to see him buried properly..." Audrey nibbled her lip. "There was also a doll there.. Did Penelope take it?" 

Ance shook his head. "No, but then again I didn't give her time to talk about a doll." 

Audrey pulled her knees into her chest and wrapped her free arm around them. "Old Man Thompson gave it to her and she truly loved it." 

Ance nodded. "Then she'll be getting back the doll." 

"I miss her so terribly," Audrey lamented, swallowing hard against the lump in her throat. 

Ance adjusted himself upon the ground and pulled her closer. Audrey went to him and laid her head against his broad chest, taking comfort in the sound of his steadily beating heart. "I'll get you back to her as soon as I can," Ance promised. "But there is something I need to take care of first." 

"What?" Audrey asked, wondering what in the world could possibly be more important than getting back to Penelope. 

Ance pulled a cigar from his pocket and stared down at it. "We're going back to Grandy and I'm gonna be checking on Rodger York. If the man's on the road to recovery, I intend on making sure he doesn't reach his destination." 

Audrey nodded. Yes, of course they had to see that Rodger was taken care of before they could return to Penelope and get home to the ranch. As long as Rodger was alive, he was a danger to her daughter's safety and Audrey was tired of seeing her daughter in danger. 

"We should probably sleep, shouldn't we?" Audrey inquired, her words emphasized by the yawn that followed them. 

Ance's deep rumbling chuckle vibrated against her ear and she felt his lips brush against her hair. "Sleep sounds good about now." 

The pair helped each other to stand and Ance grunted in pain as he adjusted his weight onto his good leg. "You know Irish might just let you have a bottle of that elixir to help you with your wounds," Audrey teased. 

Ance snorted. "It'll cure me or kill me one." 

"Yes, and the miracle will cost you a mere two dollars a bottle," Audrey laughed lightly. "It's lucky that Irish is your friend, Ance." 

Ance grunted as he lit his cigar. "He didn't help cuz we're friends. He helped because he owed me about twenty favors--not the least of which was busting him out of jail so he could help." 

"What was he in jail for?!" Audrey demanded, realizing this was the first she'd heard of it. 

"Twas merely a misunderstandin'," Irish insisted sleepily from where he lay beside the fire. "I had allowed the sheriff's wife to test out the elixir and I'm afraid it made her a wee bit free with her lovin'. She began wantin' her a bit of attention from an Irishman, and of course, bein' the businessman I am, I was all to happy to meet her needs..." 

"I must have done something real bad in a past life," Ance grumbled as he lay down upon his bedroll and held out his arm for Audrey.

"Why's that?" Irish questioned as Audrey lay down and settled herself against Ance's chest, more than happy to finally be close to the man again. She loved him and she would take advantage of what time she had with him--even if it would prove to be fleeting. 

"Because the only goddamn friend I have in the whole world is a good for nothing, skirt chasing, lying, cheating Irishman." 

"Ansel," Irish sat up and batted his lashes with a crooked grin on his face, emphasizing the gap in his teeth. "I do believe that's the first ya have ever admitted that I'm a friend." 

"Must have been the blood loss talking," Ance grumbled as he put out his cigar and pulled his hat over his eyes. 

Irish was all smiles as he rolled over and fell silent. Audrey snuggled up closer to Ance and kissed his jaw. "Goodnight," she whispered. 

"Goodnight, Audrey," he replied. "And uh.. About what you said earlier.. Back at the fort..." 

Audrey felt her stomach churn wondering just what he was going to say. He swallowed and lifted his hat so he could look into her eyes. "Me too."

Audrey blinked several times and before she could process that he had just told her he loved her in his own way, Ance had the hat flopped back over his face and clearly no longer felt the need for conversation. 

Maybe, just maybe, Audrey would get to keep her outlaw for more than just this one adventure. With a smile on her face and hope in her heart, Audrey laid her head against his chest and let sleep claim her exhausted body.