"That's what you said last time," Charlotte commented, catching me off guard. Her eyes started to blaze with a fire of hatred, but I knew it wasn't aimed at me. I don't even believe it was intended for my father but for someone that was lost. The realization of what the expression was made my heart twist with guilt. Even though I do my best to keep her out of my father's grasp, her heart breaks with abandonment. If I was here sooner then maybe she wouldn't feel this way.

I crouched down to her height, "I promise I will be here every day to get you, okay?" The bus may have been a better alternative, but then she'd get home before I did and I couldn't bear the thought of her being alone with my father. It was an anxiety better off avoided.

There were a few tense moments before she smiled and wrapped her arms around my neck. My eyes widened in surprise as I was caught off guard once again. Charlotte was the most forgiving child I had ever met, even with all that's transpired. However, not once before that did she give me a hug.

~~~

Fortunately, you stopped drinking for a while around the time I turned eighteen. You were doing really good and we were building a relationship that would adequately reflect how father and son should be. I even considered staying, but after you found out I intended to take Lottie, it was game over. 

I told you I wasn't going to take her, but you didn't want to hear it. We fought and fought until you turned my face into a bloody pulp. You attempted to use her as a form of leverage, claiming you loved her and she was your child, but I knew it was all lies. Now, how could you do that? You beat the shit out of me when you didn't even care about her and the only reason you didn't is because she isn't truly yours. Did you think that maybe I would have stayed if I wasn't free to take her? Little did you know, your actions gave me the incentive.

I knew your ultimate goal was to control me, even after you cut me some slack, so the only choice I had was to utterly vanish. Neither of you would be able to find me, so I'd never have to explain why I was so selfish. Regardless of such an unsavory personality trait, I can't help but sometimes wonder if you really suffered her presence, since she's the reminder of everything you've driven away in life.

Maybe you'd make the decision to abandon Charlotte or redirect all your anger at her; I realized this the night I left. Sure, it hurt to leave her alone with such an unrighteous bastard, but I wouldn't become your puppet for her sake—not for another six years. Honestly, it'll always be the most selfish thing I have ever done, but I know she had a better chance of getting out without me. At least that's the lie I wish to believe.

Maybe the Roberts were a way of punishing me for leaving her, but if I believed that I probably would have gone to get her by now. Although, if I didn't want to deal with you then, I wouldn't want to deal with you now. In the end, I couldn't bring myself to fight for her; it was easier this way. That's a hard truth to swallow, but regardless of my guilt in failing to protect Charlotte, I can't care about her anymore.

Five years was long enough for me to cope with the loss but not long enough to forgive Daniel. My focus is only upon the Roberts because their demise means everything to me. Could you imagine how exciting it will be when I look down upon Daniel's broken, bloody body, punished for the sin he committed? God, I will relish every scream of pain and plea for me to stop.

My lips parted into a smile and my daydream was broken when Rachel started snapping her fingers in front of my face. When I looked up she was leaned forward, exposing some of her... cleavage. Ah, she is the ideal therapist for a young guy. Surely, others pay attention to everything she says because of her physique. However, I've grown tired of looking at her. Rachel has become too familiar, thus she proves to be less exciting and if you're honest with yourself, that's why most relationships don't work out.

Retribution: The Cure for Agonyजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें