"I'm hanging in there...Nat and I had a talk last night, and we think it would be ideal for you to stay with us or for her to stay with you since you're almost due-"

"Chris we've already talked about this. I have made plans in advance with a hospital and my obstetrician so I can't just cancel my appointments or anything else..."

"Alright then, Nat is willing to stay with you till the battle is over..."

"Chris..."

"Look, I know you've got this from the beginning and I'm damn proud of you but it's your first time doing this, and it's not safe for you to be living alone... we can't take any chances, Em."

She sighed. "Fine, Talia can come over if it is no bother..."

"Of course not!" Emery heard a cheerful squeal in the background which undoubtedly came from Natalia.

It was settled then that Natalia would stay with her until she gave  birth.

· · • • • ✤ • • • · ·

The days following Natalia's arrival was admittedly fun than Emery expected.

She was eternally appreciative of her loyal friend and relentless brother.

During the day, the two would stock up and pack all the necessary stuff for the D-day. And in the evenings, they would enjoy the fresh breeze at the balcony with a couple of drinks while they chitchat.

And tonight was no exception.

"What do you mean by you don't want a baby shower?!" Natalia asked her friend, her mouth agape as she stared at Emery in incredulity.

Emery shrugged and took a sip of her coconut water. "I'm almost due, Talia. Heck, the baby could arrive any moment from now and you think I have the time and energy to organize a baby shower?"

Natalia crossed her arms over her chest, a pout marring her face. "Every mother deserves a baby shower and more so if it's their first child... you are being mean to my goddaughter."

"Oh suck it up, its no big deal." Emery chuckled.

But Natalia had a mind of her own.

Come the morning, Emery woke up to her brother's call.

"Please don't tell me you're still in bed."

"Get off my phone, it's just eight in the morning." Christopher's booming laughter stirred her up.

She cussed under her breath. "What do you want?"

"Guess you woke up on the wrong side of the bed... well get your act together cause I need your help. I'm picking something for our forthcoming anniversary and I kinda need a feminine opinion."

Emery got out of the covers without further comment. "Is it what I'm thinking?" she squealed.

"Em?" Natalia knocked on her bedroom door. "get your ass up and come feed that poor baby."

She giggled at the light command. "I'm coming, mama!"

She heard Natalia chuckle and when the sound of her retreating footsteps faded, she went back to her conversation.

"I miss her already."

"She's been gone for only two weeks..."

"Two weeks ain't only for us, woman."