Chapter 15: Irrevocable

Start from the beginning

I looked around at everyone just casually conversing and eating lunch. Was I the only one a bit concerned? "I think that he probably goes through these depressive episodes where he just needs a break from everything you know? He has a therapist he sees once a month and he told me he was thinking about moving the appointments up to once a week. Not to mention Carson's anniversary is in a few days, he's probably going through a lot."

"Yeah, I know. I feel so bad for him. After school I'm going to stop by his house with Ginger Ale and some hot soup." I decided, a solemn smile on my lips. "Make sure it's chicken noodle." Dominic teased, placing some much-needed positive energy back into the atmosphere. He must've noticed the forced smile on my lips. "He'll be okay Ren. He will." He bumped my shoulder and grinned before putting his headphones back on.

As much as I usually would agree with this sentiment. This time it was differently. Completely different.

The small hill before his house was always nice to drive over. Examining the gorgeous homes of his neighbors kept me well entertained, although they all looked a little similar. Blank in character.

My thoughts wondered aimlessly until I pulled into the driveway and parked, making my way towards the front door. Before I got the chance to ring the doorbell, yelling was all I could hear. His mom and dad in the middle of a screaming match in their home, close enough to the front door that I could make out words.

"That is your son! We lost one already, do you really want to lose another?! I should've never had those kids with you. They deserved better!"

"As if you're a prize yourself?! Without me, you'd be the gutter trash girl my mother always said you were."

Quickly, I stepped back, not wanting to interrupt a conversation that clearly was none of my business. It was too late however, the door opening right as I took a few steps back. His father connected his gaze with mine, the angry scowl on his face becoming rageful the longer he stared. "I don't know where the fuck he is. Get off my property." He spat, hurrying off to get in his car and speed down the road.

His mother called out to me, a sad smile on her lips. "Although I hope you didn't hear all that, I know you did." A somber chuckle left her mouth and she quickly wiped away her tears. I handed her the food I brought, and she stepped away to put it down, her sniffling sounds coming from inside.

Despite my reluctance to hug people—especially those who probably don't even know my favorite color—this wasn't about me and my feelings. She needed a hug. She needed someone to hold her and let her cry, and so I did.

At first her arms sat stiff, dangling on the sides of my body until I whispered, "It's okay to cry. I won't mention this to anyone. Just let it go." And let it go she did. I had almost forgotten why I was there in the first place with the way her body shuddered in my arms. We had been standing in the doorway letting in the cold air for a while until she finally stepped back.

"Coen left about twenty minutes ago. I don't know where he went, and he hasn't been responding to my calls or messages... Him and Carson used to go to that old bridge by the beach," She winced painfully at the words. "I pray he's not there." Fear flashed over her eyes.

She didn't say the words, but I knew exactly what she meant. If Coen is there, he might have plans to do the same.

I urged toward my car, hopping in faster than I ever have before. She stayed standing in the doorway, hands shaking. I opened the car door, stepping out to yell at her, "Get in! I really think you need to be there!" And without hesitation, she slipped on her shoes, went in to grab and coat and quickly got into my car.