Chapter IX

The Weight That Words Hold

When Jeongguk had walked into Jimin’s room in the morning after breakfast, he had not expected the prince to be wearing a slightly ragged loose cotton blouse and a pair of equally loose brown tie-up pants, dressed much like the people Jeongguk had grown up around. Jeongguk’s narrowed confused eyes travelled to Jimin’s feet and the knight cocked his head to the side when he noticed the worn-out jute shoes adorning them. Jimin only smiled at Jeongguk, pulling a rather plain green cloak around himself and pulling its hood up so that it hid most of his face.

“Here,” the prince said, tossing Jeongguk a cloak and grabbing a small satchel with the juiciest fruits and some tiny thin wooden boxes. “Wear this and let’s go.”

Jeongguk stared as the prince walked past him and out of the room, taking quick excited strides. The knight was still confused by the whole ordeal but obeyed the prince nonetheless, pulling on the cloak and following after him. Jeongguk certainly did not expect the prince to get into one of the smaller carriages used for the transport of the royal servants, and call out to him with a big smile on his face.

“What even…” The knight muttered as he stepped onto the carriage and took a seat next to the prince, wide eyes looking around for any sort of hint about where they were heading to or what they were doing. The carriage started moving and Jeongguk turned to Jimin with questioning eyes, patiently waiting for an answer from the prince.

“Just look out and enjoy the scenery,” Jimin mumbled, leaning his head against the knight’s shoulder and closing his eyes, a smile playing at his lips all the while. Jeongguk found it strange and knew Jimin was not telling him on purpose but he let it slide and opted to look back and forth from the window to the boy leaning against his arm. After all, what was a scenery that did not consist of Jimin.

They had been travelling for a little more than two hours when Jeongguk spotted familiar surroundings and gasped, suddenly leaning forward to stick his head out the window. Jimin, who had fallen asleep on the knight’s shoulder, shook awake due to the sudden movement and yawned in Jeongguk’s direction before his eyes lit up in excitement. Jeongguk was staring out the window with the brightest smile, Jimin’s heart hurt. The knight then turned to face the prince with the same smile, eyes glistening with happiness, oh Jimin’s heart hurt alright.

“Home,” Jeongguk croaked, turning to the window for a split second before turning back to Jimin. “You brought me home?” The prince smiled and watched the knight lift his shaking hands to his head in disbelief. “You have no idea how much this means to me. You- I- I can’t believe you brought me home!” Jimin lifted his own hand to the knight’s cheek, gently caressing the small scar on his skin and then the skin right below his eye. Jeongguk was still so young, he looked so little at that moment, so happy and filled with childish innocence. The carriage came to a halt and Jeongguk closed his eyes and leaned into Jimin’s palm. “Thank you. Thank you, Jimin.”

The prince shook his head and brushed Jeongguk’s hair away from his forehead. Then he leaned up to press his lips against the knight’s forehead in a gentle and loving touch. “You don’t have to thank me for anything my dear knight.” Jimin would do anything to see Jeongguk smile so bright every moment of every day. “Go, your family will be pleasantly surprised by this visit.” Jeongguk laughed, choking up a little, and when he opened his eyes they were filled with grateful tears. Jimin’s heart hurt so bad at the endearing sight. “Don’t forget to slip up the hood of your cloak until you get inside. We wouldn’t want anyone identifying us now, would we?”

Jimin stayed by the doorway and watched as Jeongguk ran into his little home and hugged his mother. The old lady was very surprised and choked up on her own tears at the sight of her son, calling for her husband and daughters to come. Jeongguk placed his hands on either sides of his mother’s face, thumbs wiping away the tears that had managed to leave her eyes. Jimin heard a shout of Jeongguk’s name before two girls came bounding into the mother-son hug. The prince saw the way Jeongguk’s body relaxed more in his sisters’ arms. He knew how much the knight’s sisters meant to him.