13 ── Shock

( Florida, 2015 )

( Miami )

IN A MATTER OF MOMENTS AFTER GETTING A SNACK, HAJIRA HAD FOUND HERSELF IN FRONT OF ANOTHER PROBLEM. Immediately after leaving her office with Rafael, he was arrested, suddenly. She had tried to reason with them, not knowing why'd he'd even be apprehended. She knew he wasn't one to break the law, she was sure.

She ended up becoming frustrated to almost no end. Practically, the Arya woman was at square one when it came down to the problems she faced. Everything was crumbling yet building up around her.

At least she got rid of her mother, for now. It would only be a matter of time when her father would say something or her mother would try at another horrible attempt with reconciling with her. If she could disappear, she'd do it now if she could.

Nonetheless, she went on with her day and onto the next waiting for any news on Rafael. Although, she had gotten a bit of more information on Jane's situation. Which had brought her back to some high school memories. The mean girls, stupid jocks and inconsiderate loners were the main things of high-school she tried to block out. Yet Jane had been dealing with just that in a new teaching position. It wasn't pretty nor was it easy. 

But soon enough, some relief was found as Rafael had found her in her office. Well, some relief & annoyance. "So, what happened? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, just spent my night in jail" he answered, more bothered than she expected.

"Why'd they arrest you?"

"Petra wants leverage. She told the police I hit her and I didn't. I can't believe I even have to say that" he sighed, evidently frustrated.

"I know you'd never do that but I never thought Petra would do that, jeez." She never really personally spoke with Petra but she at least thought the woman was decent enough. Maybe she was wrong. "And here I thought my life was hectic enough."

"Something happen?"

"I honestly wouldn't wanna waste your time with it—"

"Anything is better than having to deal with Petra right now" he interrupted, assuring the Arya woman.

"Well, for one, I temporarily dealt with my intrusive mother by yelling at her to get out of my apartment. I've been trying to help Jane with what I can and it doesn't help that I still have a crush to, well, crush" she chuckled, knowing it was quite a mouthful. "Brings me right back to high school."

"What happened in high school?" he questioned inquisitively.

"As you could probably tell, I was the shy and weak nerd who they liked to bother. Same old, same old" she answered, looking back on it. It didn't really bother her at the time but she should've.

"I can't imagine anyone intimidating you, much less bullying you. You speak your mind, from what I can tell" he sincerely spoke, knowing she could set someone straight when necessary.

"I was way worse in high school. I doubt you would've even noticed me."

"I would have."

She looked at the slightly roughed up man ahead of her. He still had a strong gaze on his features that had expressed his own kindness. In the time she got to know the hotel owner, he'd only catapulted her crush. On another note, he did prove to be a good friend, no matter her alternative feelings.

And there it was. A brief opening for what they both desired to say. Even if it would change just about everything else in their lives. It was hard, difficult to even think of saying such things they'd been mulling over the last month or so.

"Although, nothing really beats jail. You should deal with this Petra situation as soon as possible and get some rest, Rafael. See you?" she steadily explained, knowing she should get back to work before she would say or convey something she'd regret. Alas, her face was of a troubled conflict.

"Y-Yeah. See you."