3 ── Changes

( Florida, 2014 )

( Miami )

"JANE, CONGRATS!" HAJIRA EXCLAIMED AS SHE FOLLOWED HER FRIEND INTO THE CHANGING ROOM AREAS. Jane & Michael had been officially engaged even with the baby, a compromise that had worked out somewhat smoothly. She was happy for her and was willing to help in any way.

"Thank you, Jira" she said as she begun to open up her locker, putting some of her things aside. "But, what's going on with you? There's all this talk about the 'milkshake' and I know you've been doing a lot." She had been referring to the baby as the 'milkshake' as a way to let it not detour her life even if it was bigger than a milkshake.

"Well, nothing really."

"C'mon, I know there's more than that"

"Jane—"

"Jira—" she mocked with a laugh, wanting her friend to spill the beans.

"A minor, really small, even miniscule...crush" she revealed, knowing Jane wouldn't give it up. Jane grew an even bigger smile at her friend's news, even if it was common. "Jane, it's nothing!"

"It is not nothing! It's really adorable when you get a crush."

"It's not even a crush, it's—an attraction. It'll fade" she defends herself, nervously laughing.

"Jira, your crushes don't fade—"

"Jane, Hajira" they suddenly heard, causing them to turn their attention to him. "Do you two have a moment?"

"Oh, yes, hi."

"Hello, Mr. Solano."

"What's going on?"

"I just wanted to talk to you, Jane, about some legal stuff" he answers, seeming stiif about the topic.

"Oh, I should probably go then—"

"Actaully, uh, could we talk after, Hajira?" he asked, a small but nervous smile on his features. Hajira nodded and then looked over to him, waiting for him to resume whatever he was trying to say. He had went on about how the doctor who had artificially inseminated her, Dr. Alver, is his sister.

"She's your sister? Well, damn" she blurted out, a 'sorry' promptly coming our right after.

Jane had been even more surprised, not thinking they were even alike in the slightest. And somehow, as a transition, he had moved onto another legal concern. Money was another component. "And not to make things more awkward but, Jane, you should really talk to a lawyer. Come up with an amount, present it to us, and that way I can pay you directly, and that way, you'll make the most money" he thoughtlessly explained, not realizing his mistake.