7 ── Accidents

( Florida, 2014 )

( Miami )

THE NEXT DAY, HAJIRA FELT SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER ABOUT HER FEELINGS. She had written out all her feelings and poured over the words over & over again. She had printed it out so she could read it in her head in order to not blurt it out by accident or to just convince herself that just like the words on the paper, they could just disappear.

And so far, it was working, kinda. She read the letter over and over again whilst being able to go through the day without thinking too much about Rafael. Not thinking about his hair, smile, or body. It was slightly unconventional but it was a method.

Now, she had just dropped off some papers—well, reports off at Rafael's office. One of them being Jane's article she promised Rafael. She wanted to do her friend a favor, after her apparent retelling of what Michael saw yesterday. She felt a bit bad for her, knowing their engagement was a bit strained ever since they found out about Jane's accidental pregnancy.

Besides the tension, she was sure they'd work it out. They always ended up fixing it. Although, Michael sometimes managed to stand in the way of resolving their issues. Hajira didn't want to focus on her friend's problem even though that's what she would usually do. Instead, she dug her hands into her pockets to take her attention off it but doesn't feel what she was looking for. She doesn't feel the letter she carefully folded to fit in her suit jacket's pocket. She frantically kept searching her pockets, knowing she had it only a bit ago. She internally screamed, not knowing where the hell it could be.

She had thought to where it possibly could be and then cursed herself for where it was. She had stacked so many papers together and her letter was easily muddled together with them. Her heart raced faster than any other time with worry about how Rafael would respond upon seeing the letter. She didn't directly address him but most would be able to tell it was directed towards someone.

She darted towards his office, hoping to get there before he even noticed the letter was there. Her heels clacked all through the hallways, a sign she desperately ran as fast as she could. She finally reached the corner which she turned to the right, reaching his office but she saw the man in question holding the letter, his mouth agape.

"We need to talk" he warily said, definitely flustered.

"U-Uh, yeah" she only muttered in response. "L-Look, it's not what you think—"

"I know we've been getting a bit closer and sure, I feel a connection of sorts—", he starts off, both worrying but confusing her, "as a great friend and the friend of the mother of my child. And—and this is quite the deep letter with a lot of meaningful things. B-But, uh, this fantasy scenario isn't gonna happen Hajira" he firmly stated, causing her to worry even more.