Part 13- Monstrous Monoliths

Previously:

"The public have decided that the person they want to see face Monstrous Monoliths is...." Dec announced. "Jack"

"Jack, we'll see you down at the trial clearing soon" Holly said and they both left.

All I could say was thank god I wasn't facing the trial.

--------

Jack's POV

Oh god.

It was my name called.

I was doing the trial.

I was doing the freaking trial.

I was terrified. I didn't know how else to react.

What if I failed?

What if I got no stars?

What if I earned no meals for camp?

They'd hate me. They'd be so disappointed. We were barely getting any food as it was. We were always hungry.

What if I made matters a million times worse?!

****

I walked past a few bushes in a row to see i'd arrived at the trial clearing. There stood Dec and Holly. I took my position, a few feet away from them but standing across so they could talk whilst facing me.

"Hi Jack" Holly smiled.

"Hi" I said.

"How you feeling about being voted for the trial?" Dec asked.

"Oh you know" I said, not being able to help but laugh nervously at the end of my answer.

"So, ready to hear about what we have instore for you today?" Holly asked, giving a warming smile.

"Um yeah.... sure" I answered, uncertainly.

"So, Jack" Dec said. "Welcome to Monstrous Monoliths"

I gulped just hearing the name of the trial. It sounded horrendous and I assured myself that the trial itself would be even worse than the name it was given.

"As you can see, standing before us are five slabs of stone" Holly said. "AKA, the monoliths"

"Now, you're going to be in each monolith to retrieve stars" Dec said. "But, the catch is that the stars are locked in containers. You have to find the key which fits the padlock to unlock the container, therefore retrieving the star. Each star represents one meal for camp and there's ten stars on offer."

"But, you're gonna be against the clock" Holly said. "So you need to remember that you can't take your time"

"And like Zoe's trial yesterday, the first five stars will automatically be going to the red team at crock creek" Dec said.

"So, if you want to win any meals for your camp, Snake rock, you'll have to put the work in to get a high number of stars" Holly said.

"But, as you've probably guessed, you won't be alone in there" Dec said. "Just to throw another spanner in the works and make it even more challenging"

"Yep, you'll have some lovely gritters in there with you to keep you company" Holly said.

"Great" I chuckled, nervously.