Part 10- Viper Pit

Previously:

I stood up and hugged Zoe.

"Zoe, we'll see you at the trial clearing in a little bit" Dec said. "We'll see the rest of you very soon"

And with that, Dec and Holly left.

Let's just say I was so thankful not to be doing the trial.

--------

Harper's POV

I watched as Zoe paced back and forth around the camp. She was a bag of nerves, full to the brim. I felt really bad for her having to do the first trial but I was still so glad it wasn't me. I couldn't stand the thought of snakes so having that as my first trial would've been a nightmare for me.

I couldn't let Zoe stand on her own worrying about the trial anymore. I needed to try and help.

I walked over to her and put my hand on her shoulder, stopping her from pacing.

"Zoe, it's going to be ok" I said, trying to encourage her.

"What if it isn't though" she said, looking even more panicked than i'd seen before.

"It will be, I promise" I said, smiling encouragingly.

"Yeah, she's right sis" Joe said. "You're gonna smash it, trust us"

"Now, we'll all help you get ready" I smiled.

Liza filled up Zoe's water bottle whilst I helped decide whether to wear the shorts or the trousers. Jack got her socks from the fire so they were nice and toasty and Joe got her boots ready for her to put her feet in. Although it was only little jobs, we all did little things to try and help Zoe and make her feel more at ease about doing the trial.

"Right, you're all set to go" I said, smiling.

"Um thanks" Zoe said nervously.

"I'll walk you down to the bridge" Joe said, smiling.

"So will I" I offered, smiling.

"And we'll all be here for you when you get back" Liza smiled.

"And don't worry about how many meals you win" Jack said.

"Yeah all that matters is that you tried your best" Joe said.

"And we'll all be so proud of you no matter what" I smiled.

"Thanks guys" Zoe said, smiling weakly.

Zoe gave Liza and Jack a hug each and she, Joe and I started the short trek to the bridge. Once we got to the bridge both Joe and I gave Zoe a hug.

"Good luck" I smiled.

"Yeah you're gonna do so well" Joe smiled.

Zoe gave a smile and a weak nod and began walking across the bridge.

"I hope she's gonna be ok" Joe said.

"She will" I smiled. "I know she will.

****

Zoe's POV

I'd just arrived at the trial clearing. I was absolutely terrified. Viper pit. I hated snakes! With a passion! I had no idea how I was going to handle the trial.

As I passed a big bush I saw Dec and Holly waiting. They saw me and smiled. I stood still awaiting of what they were going to say.

"Welcome, Zoe" Dec smiled. "How do you feel about taking on the first trial of the series?"