Level 04:\Sandbox

Level 04:\Sandbox\Startup -Soldiers (in the) Front // Special Feeling-

Lights outside the stage shut off, in preparation for the last part of the tournament. Large speakers around the stage blared a dubstep-remixed orchestral music of Hiroyuki Sawano. The wild crowd waved their banners, and glowsticks. Some of the viewers brought out their tablets, smartphones, and cameras to record the event. The eight 64-inch television screens around the stage displayed the event's logo. The screens flashed the logos of the Tejeros Triggers, and the Valenzuela Valiants in rotation.

A loud and youthful voice spoke across the hall, "Hello! Welcome to the first and official Call of the Battlefield Philippines Grand Finals! Brought to you by the Gamer-Kuyas"

The colored strobe lights at the gaming booths flashed at the tempo of an average human heartbeat.

A high-pitched female voice shouted, "We're gearing up for the grand finals! The remaining two teams will fight for five hundred thousand pesos!"

The DJ turned down the music, then he announced, "Once again, here's our today's host: Rivas!" 

Strobe lights from the gaming booths stopped flickering. A man dressed in black longcoat stepped on stage. The remote-controlled, roof-mounted spotlights aimed its yellowish lights at him. Few congoers called the host's name with their rough, high-pitched, and ear-shutting voices.

"Thank you, DJ Headshot and Rebelle!" Rivas looked at the DJs by the stage.

He pointed the red gaming booth with his right palm faced up, "In the red booth, playing from the Tejeros Bliss Gardens..."

Red strobe lights pulsated in an instant, as Rivas raised his voice, "Meet the Tejeros Triggers!"

The yellowish spotlights shone Ren, and his friends. The crowd waved their glow sticks, like in a disco or rave party.

He noticed a handful of fans waved their Tejeros Triggers banner in darkness.

Few Filipinos would cheer at the gamers, like they did with teenage local and foreign artists. Bleh, it's getting embraced as a 'sport' anyway!

Ren tapped his index fingers against his thighs, then he peeked at the audiences for a moment.

His mind wade through images of possible outcomes of their final battle. All he hoped is a fair, close fight between their teams. Yeah, no wonder why he doesn't want anyone to hang around within the enemies' spawn points — for his meaning of a fair game.

Arnold patted his right shoulder, "Uy, Ren! Kabado ka na naman! Ngumiti ka naman, kakahiya sa mga fans mong girls!"

Ren gasped, and peeked at his stubby friend. His heartbeat raced at a rate of a submachine gun fired in a three-point burst. He looked back at the audience, and smiled for the final battle. 

The crowd chanted their team names back and fortth.

"In the blue booth, playing from Barangay Valenzuela..." Rivas pointed the blue gaming booth with his right palm faced up, "Here's the Valenzuela Valiants!"

Blue strobe lights turned on, then flickered at a pace of a machine gun. The crowd raised waved their glow sticks and cardboard shields as Derek's team stood in front of the blue-lit gaming booth. The yellow spotlights turned towards them, and shone them like celebrities.

Lordino showed a peace sign to their fans, "GG na lang mamaya, guys!"

Yet, the female gamers swooned over Hagibis' straight, neck-length hair. Derek and others gawked at their youngest teammate's appeal.

Lordino gaped his mouth, then scratched his head, "Eh ayos naman si Hagibis eh! Habulin ng mga chicks, dahil sa buhok niya!"

"Kyut na, mukha pang pang-K-POP!"  Badong laughed, as Hagibis waved his hand to the cheering crowd.

That young teammate of theirs should have been a popular child idol in ARC Network's soap operas. Instead, studies, and this game are his priorities. Don't worry, Korea treated their gamers like celebrities. Come on, they even earned five or six-figure cash prizes in dollars!

Derek frowned. The powerful, orchestral music overpowered the crowds' high-pitched voices, and his team's laughs. Nada. Those cheerful noises unfazed him again. He peeked at Ren's team. He admired their smiles, as if this tournament is their regular internet cafe skirmishes.

His skin chilled as he thought over their fated in-game battle. The cold air from the hall's centralized air conditioning systems stroked his face. What do? Disconnect friendship, and play harder and smarter? Play dumb for his favor? CHEAT?

"Get ready for battle, Tejeros Triggers and Valenzuela Valiants!"  Rivas snapped his fingers, "Man your stations!!!"

Ren, Derek, and their team members marched to their respective gaming booths. Two steps away from their booths' doors, they gazed at each other's eyes for the last time.

Estelle wade through the sea of the rowdy teenagers. Even if she had to sit on the floor, she must made it to the front row.

She's uninterested in their games since 4th Grade. Though, she wished: They have to play fair, without any mixed feelings.

As she made through the 2nd to the front row, she noticed both teams entered their booths.

She whispered to herself. "Play fair, Ren! Derek!" then she clenched her hands together.