New Family (Part 2)

Start from the beginning

***

Location: Jamaica

Military Time: 08:00 A.M

The three of them had woken up early to check out the beach where the ink was found and was met with a little resistance before the police were convinced to let them in.

Elsie used a small pickax to claw for the ink as N.I.G.E.L carefully carried an analyzing bottle "Initializing Analytical Protocols. Analyzing Sample Now...You wanna talk pH levels? We got'em low, low , low, so low they're insa-a-a-ane!" N.I.G.E.L boomed before moving away.

Cordula and Elsie chuckled while Mendel looked none to pleased "Remind me to kill that teenage punk for messing with N.I.G.E.L's linguistic software" Mendel grumbled "Oh come on Mendel don't be like that. You know you care for Randy enough to let him mess with N.I.G.E.L" Corsula pointed out.

Elsie lightly touched the ink with her pointing finger and held i close to her hand. Mendel placed his entire hand onto the ink to test it out "The ink sure is warm. Almost as if something is alive" Cordula said as her rubbed her palm on the ink.

"And do you feel that? That pulsing sensation. Something's in here" Elsie said. Cordula hummed when she noticed something moved and quickly moved the ink away only to slight jump back when a flailing fish broke out of the surface of the ink.

How it was still alive without sustaining any injuries from Elsie's pickax?

"It looks like this tar was draining it but why?"

"What's more concerning is that is there any normal creature that can make tar like this" Cordula questioned and no one had an answer to that. Afraid that if they did, it would only confirm the inevitable.

***

After looking up at each tar and seeing the same thing with each fish that washed offshore, they headed out to sea with Mendel driving, Cordula looking at the radar to see if there is any blimp under them while Elsie analyze the tar with the first fish they found.

"The data suggests that while draining fishes on electrode lights, the tar was also keeping it alive" Elsie stated which bewildered Mendel and Cordula "Why would it do that?" Mendel asked "Maybe to store it later for food. I don't know..." Cordula said and Elsie nodded.

"That could be"

Unknown to them that while N.I.G.E.L scanned underwater, something swam pass by him, something big.

"Call up Nick, he needs to hear this" Cordula said and Elsie was already on it. While Elsie was talking to Nick, Mendel and Cordula decided to keep watch.

"Well we analyzed the tar. Amino acids reading right off the chart and the fish we found trapped inside, completely drained of electrode lights...Yeah we're thinking of external stomach. Once the food is digested the tar is probably reabsorbed into the predator's body"

Cordule blinked when she thought she saw something dark and moving underneath the surface but as she leaned closer, a tentacle shot straight at her and she was barely able to dodge "SQUID!" Cordula screamed. Elsie turned to look at her before Mendel shakingly pointed a finger in front of her and she turned to let out a scream.

A squid as big as their boat was trying to climb up.

"Elsie dropped the phone with Nick still on the line as she grabbed a spear for protection while Cordula sent out a distress signal. The squid let out a terrifying shriek as it waved its tentacles full of tar.

"Well now we know what kind of animal it is but a squid can't be that big unless it is-" Her sentence was cut off when something slimy grabbed her feet and she was lifted off from the ground. Cordula let out a scream when she was suddenly hanged upside down.