Chapter Forty-Eight- Rings

I am sitting here, on my bed, with my laptop on my lap, wearing a sheet face mask with a glass of white wine next to me. When did I become so... mature?

"You seem nervous, baby."

I scoffed. "Of course I'm nervous. I'm here to get a biopsy to see if I have fucking lung cancer."

Yoongi sighed as he reached for my hand, giving it a squeeze. "I know Hoseokie, but it will be okay, I know it. I have a good feeling."

His fingers interlocked with mine, the feeling of a ring between our fingers made me smile. "I can't believe you actually proposed."

"I was going to wait until I had a solid plan, but I knew that that was a good time."

"How did you know?" I finally asked the question that had been burning in the back of my skull for the past few days.

He tilted his head. "Know what?"

I shrugged, giving his hand a squeeze. "How did you know this is the ring I fell in love with?"

He chuckled, turning his head away from me for a second before meeting my eyes once more. "If I'm being honest, Taehyung helped me."

"Taehyung!?" I almost screamed in the hospital waiting room, Yoongi shushing me instantly. "You're telling me that my best friend hid this from me... for how long?"

He shook his head. "I can't tell you."

"Oh please, why not?"

His lips formed a straight line as he looked down at his lap, mumbling the words softly. 

"What was that?" I asked again, hearing him inhale sharply.

"Jung Hoseok?" The nurse called my name, making me groan. "We're ready for you. You can follow me."

Yoongi exhaled a breath of relief as we made our way down the hall and into a private room. 

"Here is your gown. Please put this on and the doctor will be in shortly."

We were left alone again as I started to undress. Yoongi helped me put the hospital gown on. He slid a pair of socks on my feet, knowing that they get cold in hospitals, and sat down in the seat next to me, taking my hand in his once again. 

I was about to open my mouth to speak when his deep breath stopped me.

"The night we first kissed."

"What about it?"

"I bought the ring the next day. I-I didn't want to say anything because it's embarrassing for me to admit that I fell in love with you so quickly, and I knew even before we kissed that I wanted to spend every second of the rest of my life with you. W-When you were diagnosed, I-I almost returned them, but I decided to hold onto it. I figured that returning them to the shop would mean I had given up on you, and no matter what happens, I will never give up on you. On us."

By the end of his speech, I was wiping tears from my eyes. 

"Baby, I-I can't believe you are an actual softie." 

His eyes went wide as he scoffed, clearing his throat. "I am a total badass, excuse you."

"Uh huh, sure thing. I'll believe it when I see it."

"I'm covered in tattoos dude. See it and believe it." His lips turned upwards into a smile as he acknowledged the tattoos covering his pale skin.

I chuckled. "So? I have a tattoo and I'm weak as hell. It doesn't mean a thing."

He was about to respond when there was a knock on the door, the doctor walking in with a small smile. 

"You ready?"

________

Three days later.

"Do you want some more water?" 

I nodded, feeling the dryness of my throat. I sipped from the straw, coughing a little afterwards. Yoongi's eyes showed a slight sense of panic, but I gave him a small smile. 

"It just was a little difficult to swallow from the tube they had down my throat, babe, that's all."

"Are you in any pain today?"

I shook my head.

"Are you positive?"

I nodded, motioning for him to move closer so I could peck his lips to reassure him. "I am doing much better today."

A soft knock on the door broke us up slightly, his hand finding its home in mine.

"Well, Hoseok, we got the results back from pathology."

Yoongi sucked in a sharp breath, squeezing my hand. 

"First off, the scans showed that we got the entire mass from your lung."

"Thank God," I breathed out, but still holding some breath in until I heard the results from pathology.

"Pathology looked over the mass numerous times just to be sure, but I am here to say that it is not cancerous. You are still free of cancer!"

I felt the air being sucked out of me as Yoongi attacked me with a hug and kisses all over my face. I felt a wetness on my neck and looked up to see him crying as he engulfed me with his tattooed arms. 

I used every bit of strength I had to hug him back.

_______

lol shoutout to the people who chewed me out for making it seem like he was going to have more cancer lol