Chapter XIV - The Road to Tash is Paved with Good Intentions

╣╠

"I heard your siren's call, it was beautiful

I am drowning, God, please don't save me

I'm in too deep, can't touch the bottom with my feet

Don't know what you did to me, I can't breathe but I'm living."

In Too Deep

Why Don't We

╣╠

Chapter XIV - The Road to Tash is Paved with Good Intentions

╣╠

"We should grab some canteens on the way out," I tell Ashton, knowing we might be gone for a while

She looks at me, overflowing with curiosity, "How long are you expecting this little escapade to last for?"

"Do you have a trusting bone in your body?" I inquire, knowing she's trying to wreck my spontaneous actions.

"Why do you keep avoiding my questions?" She retreats with her eyes narrowed slightly

"It's a strategy I learned from you," I point out. I have been able to pick up little tricks other than fighting from her in the past month.

Ashton rolls her eyes at me, "I have some extra water in my tent. Aslan has double the amount necessary sent to me. Probably just in precaution, in case I set something on fire by accident."

I hold the flap open for her as she ducks through. I follow behind her. She walks to a table holding three pitchers of water.

"You really weren't kidding about the water." I joke.

"Nope," She chuckles as she grabs two of her empty canteens from the table.

"How's that going by the way?" I ask, making casual conversation as she filled a canteen.

"My powers? They are temperamental, to say the least, but I'm getting there." She was about to pour herself a canteen full of water when she turned to me, "Would you like to see?"

"Really?" I blurt in surprise. I had not seen any demonstration of Ashton's powers since I found her unconscious. I had my suspicions about a few gusts of wind and random chills but nothing that officially led to her.

"I mean, you don't have-" She starts.

"Yeah, I'd love to." I encourage to stop her from taking back the offer.

She smiles slightly, putting the pitcher down, handing me the water bottle she filled for me so I can attach it to my belt on the opposite side of my sword. She sits down, putting the empty one a few inches in front of her. I take a seat across from her, curiously looking at her every move as she took one last deep breath before shutting her eyes. Her breathing slows, keeping a calm pace. Ashton slowly hands raised, flattening out in front of her, then slowly bring them together. When her hands touched and multiple droplets of water began to fall into the canteen from mid-air. I waved my hand above the droplets, feeling nothing falling from the ceiling. This was incredible. Out of everything I've seen here, this was the most unbelievable. Defying every law of science, right in front of my eyes. Ashton is beyond remarkable.