Chapter V - Skipping the Pleasantries

╣╠

"I can see you're scared of your emotions.

I can see you're hoping not hopeless.

So why can't you show me? Why can't you show me?"

In the Dark

Camila Cabello

╣╠

Chapter V - Skipping the Pleasantries

╣╠

42 Hours Earlier

42 Hours Earlier

I sit on the ice floor flipping my knife lost in thought, which no doubt is exactly what my mother wanted. Just my thoughts and I for two days straight. No distractions just the unending torment of boredom. If only my mother's parenting hadn't created one of the sneakiest children to ever live, it may have worked.

"Pst, check the mouse hole." A familiar mischievous voice says through the wall of ice I was leaning on.

I smirk as I put my knife down in its ankle holster and crawl to the little hole in the wall. After all these years in and out of punishment, whether it was Ben or me, we would both make sure that the other would have to spend the night alone in the frigid darkness of the dungeons. It originally started because he was deathly afraid of sea monsters when we were six. He believes they were frozen in the ice of the castle and wanted revenge for freezing their home on anyone that was loyal to my mother. While Ben outgrew his fears, the tradition persisted.

I reach into the little hole and pull out a piece of bread. This piece was much nicer than the grey rock that was known as the prison food.

"Jam?" I ask knowing I'm pushing my luck but I still wanting to tease Ben.

He scoffs loud enough for me to hear. My mockery is answered by the surprising sound of a little metal container sliding in from the other side of the wall.

"Ben, what would I do without you?" I praise, stuffing the bread in my mouth.

He laughs lightly, "Probably starve."

As the little laughs faded out into silence. Little drops of water from the icicles above collide with the floor making the silence even worst. The empty space is made uncomfortable by the one question that we dreaded but needed to know.

There is a silence before he speaks up again, "How long?"

I sigh, letting my head hit the wall, "Two days."

"Do I even want to know what you did this time? Talking back again?"

"Well first, Masivan smacked me with his tail for calling him, 'Wolfie'," I chuckle trying to lighten the mood, "But mainly denying the execution of a child and then a last minute attempt to avoid spending the night sleeping on ice in the company of hundred year old frozen treacherous Narnians."