Chapter 21 - The End

Chapter 21

The confrontation was not as dreadful as they both had let their imaginations conjure. It was not comfortable by any stretch of the imagination either.

Billy's harsh words were said to Bam , though it was quite clear who they were meant for. Kaley tried to remain respectful. She tried her best not to react with indignant or snide comments, though it was difficult. She again found herself biting her tongue to stave off knee-jerk responses that would only serve to make her feel better and not improve the situation.

"We don't need any more bad publicity, B. Don't you think this family has been through enough of this?" Billy sounded exasperated. Rain and Bird had been looking Kaley over for several minutes, exchanging looks between themselves as if sizing her up. Kaley tried to appear humble to them, making eye contact with them and Ami.

"Yes. I agree, we've been through enough bad times as a family. But this...this has nothing to do with you. This is my life, my decision." Bam knew the words would not be taken well and sounded rather selfish, but he felt deservedly so.

"And you think you can actually trust her?" Billy's words were not kind and they stung her.

"Da..." Ami spoke up almost seeing a physically grimace from Kaley as the words sunk in, "That's a little harsh. People make mistakes."

Kaley's hand squeezed Bam's forearm at his mother's words, she almost felt as if she could have cried.

"But you have to understand how bad this looks." Ami spoke directly to Kaley, who nodded before clearing her throat.

"Yes ma'am...I do. And I can't place the blame on anyone else either. And I know I deserve every bad feeling anyone has towards me. I just hope to change them somehow. This...this is a really harsh lesson I learned...that I'm still learning. I don't deserve this man. I don't deserve your son....but I hope to."

The words seemed to take some of the wind out of Billy's sails. Ami even smiled a bit. Kaley almost shook in the aftermath of her own words. Bam's arm sliding around her was comforting enough.

"Well...are you leaving too then? We're already down Gabe and Bear."

Kaley still couldn't believe that Bear and left with Maggie. No one was expecting that. Nor had they expected Matt to stay behind; Mila had been upset, but it was clear they had an understanding and both exhibiting more maturity over it than anyone had anticipated. Gabe had not been as near of a surprise, following Heather to the next adventure. As of yet, no one had been alerted of any proposals.

Bam seemed almost perturbed at the question. OF COURSE he wanted to leave with her. But therein lay a problem. She hadn't exactly invited him and he had the ever present drive to make sure his family was taken care of.

"Kaley is going home tomorrow, I'm going to visit her in a few weeks. Bear and Gabe should be back by then."

Kaley felt her stomach drop a little. A few weeks. It seemed like an eternal stretch of time. And part of her worried that on the other end of that stretch may lie a new reality where one or both of them would have come to their senses and realized that they'd acted foolishly. Her face must have worn a hint of her dread because Ami noticed.

"You must leave tomorrow?" Ami asked, her eyes looking at Billy for a moment. Billy knew that look. It was a look that told him he may not like what comes next, but that it would happen regardless.

"Well...my plane leaves Juneau tomorrow afternoon. I have to catch a ferry there in the morning." She pulled her tickets from her pocket as evidence of her itinerary.