Chapter 14

Kaley felt lightheaded now as she watched them take him to the small town's holding cell. She followed them, pleading.

"They really thought I was missing! I needed some time so I turned my phone off...I...I...didn't tell him where I was. They were just worried!" She tried to reign in her hysteria, but it tinged the end of her pleas with desperation.

"Really, officer. I made the report, too. We WERE actually worried something had happened." Maggie tried to reason with him, but to no avail. It was clear the longer they spoke, the more irritated the officers were getting. Matt stepped in quieting both girls and steering them towards the door. Kaley looked in anguish at Bam as Matt nudged her toward the door. Bam stood, walking to the bars, his arms taut with the urge to wrap themselves around her.

"Kaley..." He spoke softly. She pulled herself from Matt's light grasp and approached the bars. An officer eyed her, but did not stop her. She leaned into the bars, fighting tears, "It's ok. It'll be alright. I promise. Just stay calm for me..." His eyes demanded her focus and everything else fell away for the moment as she agreed to his terms with a nod of her head.

----------------------------------------------------

Kaley watched as they loaded Bam on to an official law enforcement vessel. He remained calm, quiet - not giving the officers any ammunition to use against him. This seemed to only make them more cross. Kaley had to fight every urge not to assault one of the officers herself. But she knew better; she knew that it wouldn't help the situation; it wouldn't help Bam. She had receded a little as the brothers had alerted the rest of the family who had gathered and were phoning lawyers and other persons in Juneau that might be able to help them.

Gabe and Heather strolled up completely oblivious, having slept the day away aboard the boat, still looking rather exhausted from whatever activities had kept them up so late. Heather looked smug and Gabe so carefree that it angered Kaley. She knew it shouldn't, but she couldn't help her natural reaction. She felt helpless right now. She had no real claim to Bam, she'd known him only a few days so she felt that it would be out of place for her to approach the family as if it were just as much her burden to bear, but the ache she felt in her chest wasn't subsiding.

"I can help..." She heard and felt the words coming from her mouth that she hadn't fully intended to speak them, " I mean...if he needs bail...It's kind of my fault anyway." The family looked at her silently and she felt as if she were being judged by their stares. She must look like a complete fool to assume they would trust her, even if they knew nothing of the pictures.

"Kaley, it's alright. It's not you. They are always busting our balls, er....I mean, giving us a hard time..." Matt corrected his language a moment too late as Ami's eyes warned him of her displeasure with his foul words. She and Billy both looked curiously on at the stranger offering her help before turning back to their previous conversation. Matt gave her a sympathetic look. He made his way over to Mila, whispering something to her. Mila nodded and taking Kaley by the hand. She led her away from the group.

"Mila...where are we going? What did he say?" Kaley spit the questions out as quickly as she could speak them.

"Just pack some stuff up." Mila was vague. But she was moving quickly, so Kaley followed her lead.

After she'd packed and become more and more irritated with Mila's silence, Kaley inquired again.

"MILA....WHAT IS HAPPENING?" Kaley zipped her bag in a huff.

"Matt's going to sneak you on to the boat. You can hitch a ride to Juneau with them. They are going to try and bail him out. We can't go though. So it'll just be you." She answered as she was busy texting back who Kaley assumed was Matt, "He says to meet him by the boat hoist...he'll get you on their boat somehow." Mila continued, confirming Kaley's assumption.