Chapter 15

The station hadn't been particularly loud, but it felt like all sound ceased for a moment when she entered the building. There were a few officers milling about behind the counter, but a large group of people to the left all seemed to turn and look at her at once. She could feel the heat of the stares as Matt kept her moving to the counter, not letting the family stall this further. If they had questions, they'd have to wait a little longer.

The officer at the desk seemed to be in no hurry, even as Kaley cleared her throat to make sure he was aware she was there. Her eyes looked around, scanning for a glimpse of barred cells through any of the doors, hoping to see Bam, just to know he was OK. She saw nothing and when the officer still didn't seem in any hurry to acknowledge her, she felt her own irritation flare up. She drummed her fingernails annoyingly loud against the hard plastic surface of the counter, their rhythm throwing the officer off of his own as he tried to complete his mundane task.

"Can I help you?" He asked as if he had completely forgotten why such a large group was standing in front of him, a group she was obviously now a part of.

"I was told you needed a statement from me. In order to release my...I mean to release Joshua." She felt her cheeks burn for a moment, not even really sure she could call Bam her boyfriend, or call him hers at all. She at the very least did not want to seem presumptuous in front of his family. The officer didn't really answer, prompting Kaley to explain the entire situation as if it had not been said merely minutes ago.

"Oh, that's right." He grabbed a stack of forms that sat directly next to him, clearly marked with Joshua Brown's name, "We need a detailed statement from you on your whereabouts and if anyone can corroborate your account - "

"Someone can." Kaley interjected, finding it extremely difficult to not return the officer's apparent lack of manners, "They are back in Hoonah. Can she give her statement at their office?"

The officer's nod was curt and short, but nonetheless affirmative. Kaley had to ask for a pen, her teeth gritted as he demanded it's return the moment she were to finish. She made her statement as clear and legible as possible. She tried to put as much detail as possible, even making it appear she'd hoped he'd worry though that hadn't been her honest intention. By the time she signed the statement, her admission made her appear to be the most at fault for the situation. It was slightly dishonest but it was what she could do to further along the process.

The officer and Matt signed the statement as witnesses as did the supervising officer. Kaley stepped back from the desk, occupying an odd empty space between the family and the desk, Matt being her only comfort of familiarity. The papers were stamped and verified and copied and filed, all the while, the family waited without further acknowledgement. Kaley felt her anxiety grow as more than once she'd made brief eye contact with one or more of Bam's siblings and mother.

"Maybe I should wait outside..." She leaned toward Matt, mumbling as low as she could and still have Matt understand her.

"You don't have to...you can stay in here with us." He motioned towards the group, none objected.

"Well... I mean...he should see his family first..." She felt like crying, she wanted to hop in his arms the moment they were free of constraints, but she couldn't help but feel awkward in her current company, "I'll wait...I'll just wait outside, it's fine." She reassured Matt, trying to appear as polite as possible as she pushed open the door, desperate for fresh air.

The moment the salty air hit her lungs she felt relieved. She leaned against the railing, trying to will herself to relax as she sighed outwardly.

"Well if that isn't just a sight for sore eyes." Bam deep voice startled her as she swung her head towards the bottom of the stairs.