XI

Troy's POV

I looked up to see who I assumed were Charlie's mom and dad. "I- I'm sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Vega. I- I just needed to visit him. I'll leave," Halo said to the Hispanic couple.

"Damn right you will," Mr. Vega said. "And if I catch you here again I'll call security."

"Excuse me?" I asked. "I don't know what exactly your problem is, but Halo isn't doing anything wrong."

"He's the faggot that caused our son to become tainted and kill himself," Mrs. Vega said. "He has no right to be here."

"Um, no," I said. "Halo didn't cause your son's death."

"Troy, stop," Halo muttered. "It's clear that I'm not wanted here, so I'll go."

I ignored him as I continued with, "Halo told me what happened, and if he's telling the truth, which I full heartedly believe he is, he's innocent. Charlie died because he felt like he couldn't be honest with you about himself, and the pressure of that was too much. If Halo hadn't been there, I'm sure Charlie would have died much sooner, if I'm honest, because he wouldn't have had anyone that was there for him. So shut the fuck up."

Mrs. Vega stared at me in shock. "You're the Steel boy, aren't you? Imagine what your mother would say if she knew you were defending a murderer."

"Halo is not a murderer," I snapped. My blood was boiling now. "He is a kind, sweet boy that I know for a fact blames himself and has hurt himself because he feels so badly about your son's death. And for the record, my mom knows that I love Halo, because she's a proper mother that loves her sons no matter what they do. And Halo's parents are the same way," I said.

"That faggot should have been the one to die, Not Charles," Mr. Vega said, and I resisted the urge to punch him.

"Halo doesn't deserve to die, and Charlie didn't deserve to either," I snapped. "I wanted to avoid saying this at a fucking cemetery, but I guess it's the only way to get you to understand; if you're looking for somebody to blame for your son's suicide, then find a fucking mirror. Because you made your son feel as though he couldn't be honest with you about who he loved, and it stressed him out to the point that he couldn't take it. You are why Charlie is dead, you ignorant fucks." Mr. and Mrs. Vega stared at me.

"Young man-"

"Stop!" A voice said. "Stop, mom." I looked to the left to see a teenage boy a little younger than me and Halo walking up to us. "It's not Halo's fault."

"Mathew, what are you talking about?" Mr. Vega asked. "This fa-"

"Call Halo That again, and I promise you that you won't be seeing out of both eyes for a while," I assured Mr. Vega, shutting the shorter and less muscular man up quickly.

"Before Charlie died, he gave me three letters," the boy dubbed Mathew said. "I didn't understand why at the time, but one was to me to read a week from that day, one I was to give to you and mom if you hated Halo for an unreasonable length of time, because he knew you would blame Halo, and today makes four years, and he gave me one that I was supposed to give to Halo If he ever moved on, which he hoped happened."

"You knew he-" Mrs. Vega started, but Mathew Cut her off.

"Yes, I knew he was gay, I knew he was in love with Halo, and I knew he was terrified of you and dad finding out," Mathew said. "Charlie told me. And I hated that you made him feel that he couldn't tell you. I still do." He turned to me and Halo, and handed my boyfriend a letter. "I had a feeling you would be here, so I brought this just in case you'd moved on. Read it when you get home; if it's anything like the one he wrote me, it gets pretty emotional. Mom, dad, I want you to read yours now." He handed Mr. Vega a letter.