III

Troy's POV

I woke up early on Saturday, and for a moment I was unable to remember where I was, then the black pillows and sheets reminded me. I glanced around, but I couldn't see Halo. Where was he? I sat up, then pulled his blanket to my face. It was soft, and smelled really nice, if I had to be honest. I got up, dressed in my clothes from yesterday- I hadn't known I'd be staying the night so I hadn't brought spare clothing- and walked downstairs to see Halo in the kitchen, making breakfast in just his sweatpants. He turned to face me, then waved with a smile.

"Morning," he said. I nodded in a hello. "You cool with bacon and pancakes?"

"Sure," I said.

"My parents are gone for the next two weeks or so," he said. "My aunt's pretty sick, and they need to take care of her, so we won't have to put up with them when you come over for tutoring. That's why the guest room was taken, she was going to come over here."

"Cool," I said. He plated up two pancakes for each of us, and three pieces of bacon.

"Lemme know if you want more," Halo said.

"Thanks," I replied, digging in. The pancakes melted in my mouth, with the syrup helping, and the bacon had that perfect crunch that I was never able to create myself. "Wow, this is really good."

"Thanks," Halo mumbled, looking away. Was he blushing?

"Of course," I said. "Would it be alright if we only spent an hour and a half on studying, and the rest just... hanging out? Trying to be friends?" I asked. He nodded. "Great." We finished eating, studied, and then Halo put on a tv show called Fairy Tail. It was in a foreign language, with subtitles.

"So, why are you like this?" I asked. "Why do you shut everyone out?"

"I don't, I'd rather just be alone," he grumbled. I raised an eyebrow. "Why do you like football?"

"It's fun," I said.

"It's weird," Halo said. "I don't get why people make a big deal out of shit like that."

"Have you even been to a game?" I asked. He shook his head. "You should go to the Homecoming game two weeks from yesterday. It starts at six."

"I'll pass, I'd rather watch this," Halo said roughly, pointing at the tv.

"Please?" I asked. "It'd definitely make a statement, the only guy who doesn't socialize in the least going to the biggest game of the season."

"We'll see," he relented. I grinned.

"Great! See you there!" I said eagerly. Halo chuckled.

"You certainly love your football," he commented. I shrugged. "But why did you come to me for help with History? You could've asked literally anyone else or gone to school offered tutoring."

"I don't really know. I guess I wanted to find somebody who wouldn't blab about me needing tutoring," I said.

"Well, at some point, you'll end up needing a new tutor." I scowled when he said this.

"No I won't. I'm happy with the one I've got," I said. "Besides, now you have a reason to 'stick around,' as you called it. Tutoring me."

"Yada yada who cares," Halo said. "If I disappear, you'll just find a new tutor and forget about me. I know how this shit works."

I ignored this comment, and the rest of the time was pure awkward silence.

"I should get back," I said after a while. "Hey, give me your number so I can text you if I gotta cancel."

"I don't have a phone, other than our home phone," Halo said. "I listen to music on my iPod."

"Seriously?" I asked. He rolled his eyes.

"If I can't afford a guitar what makes you think I can afford a phone?" He said, and I instantly felt like an idiot.

"I'm sorry, I forgot about that," I said, feeling rude and insensitive. He shrugged.

"I'll take you home," he said, then scribbled something on a piece of paper. "I don't have a mobile phone, but here's my home phone number."

"Thanks," I said, then he drove me home.

"Hey, can we keep us being friends a secret?" I asked. "I don't need my friends asking questions."

"Sure," he said. "I don't need people talking to me, either." I got out after thanking him.

"Hey, Who was that?" My older brother Cyran asked.

"The guy who's tutoring me," I said. "His mom insisted I stay the night for some reason."

"Maybe she was hitting on you," Cyran laughed. I punched him playfully.

"Shut it!" I said. "Don't get any weird ideas."

"So who's the tutor?"

"His name is Halo," I said.

"Who?" Cyran asked blankly. You get why I didn't know his first name? Nobody ever called him that. Either Dawson or Emo.

"Dawson's my tutor. His first name is Halo," I said. "He's not that bad of a guy," I insisted when Cyran glared.

"Be careful who you befriend," Cyran said. "Don't forget about the last time you befriended people who wasn't popular."

I chuckled. "Moment of error back then," I said. "It's not gonna happen again. Halo's the opposite of the other bastards at school. Scary at school, not so bad at home."

"Ok," Cyran said cautiously. "But you're on your own if he's really an asshole."

"Ok, I'm down with that," I said. "Hey, you play guitar for a living, so could you help me out with something?"

"Sure, What is it?" The 19 year old asked.

"Halo likes to play the guitar, but he can't afford one, apparently. Can you help me pick one out for him as payment for him tutoring me?"

"Sure," Cyran said. "I know just the one."