Chapter 7: It Takes Time

Start from the beginning

"Mom I got it!" I snipped, getting annoyed. I could hear her sigh.

"Make sure you cover your cast with the plastic the doctor gave you." I looked at the plastic sleeve. Can't they invent waterproof casts already? This was so annoying. I can't even freaking get myself in the tub. Maybe it would be easier to just stand in the shower. Nah I didn't want to risk it. At least this way I could keep it mostly dry by propping my leg up.

"Jake, let me help you," came my Dad's voice. I rolled my eyes.

"Dad honestly can't I bathe myself?" I asked.

"I know how frustrating this must be Jake, but it's what we have to do," he reasoned. I sighed.

"Dad, is Sean here still?" I relented. There was a pause.

"Yeah he's just downstairs getting something to eat. Do you want me to get him?" He asked.

"Yeah, get Sean." I sighed. I guess this was just going to be awkward no matter how I did it. The tub was full and I turned the water off just as Sean knocked on the door.

"Jake?" He called.

"You can come in," I replied. He quickly opened the door and then closed it behind him.

"How can I help?" he asked softly. My face went red.

"Well, I...I'm sorry," I was blushing so hard. This was embarassing.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. Here, let's get you in before your water is cold," he said. I took my shirt off, and began taking my pants off, when my breath hitched. A sharp pain shot through my side from bending over too quickly and nearly reopening the big cut. Sean knelt down and helped pull my pants the rest of the way off.

"Thanks," I blushed. He looked up at me. He questioned me with his eyes as if to say 'ready?' and I nodded before he slipped my underwear off. I took one look at my body in the mirror and quickly buried my face in my hands. Sean gently removed my hands and looked at my face. He wiped the tears away.

"You have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed of. Okay?" He said. I nodded. My body was blue and purple in various places, and the cut was pretty ugly to look at, not to mention the awkward and bulky cast around my one leg. Sean however, overlooked all of that and the awkwardness and wrapped his arm gently around my waist, scooped his other arm underneath my legs and picked me up. I never thought I would be that easy to pick up but he made it look simple. He carefully and slowly lowered me into the tub, making sure my leg didn't get wet too much, as I propped it up on the side.

"You good?" He asked. I nodded. He ended up sitting there the entire time I was in the bath and chatted with me. It was nice to have to company and it helped to keep my mind off of what was currently going on. He even helped me reach the soap so that I wouldn't have to strain too far. It was really sweet of him. I couldn't believe he was doing all this for me. Did he really just pity me? Or was it something more?

"You ready to get out?" He asked.

"Yeah. Sorry," I said.

"Stop apologizing for something you have no control over," he told me.

"I know. I just feel like a little kid who can't do anything on his own."

"Look Jake, I know how you're probably embarrassed, but really, you don't need to be. I've seen you naked before. It's no big deal," he said matter-of-factly. It was true he had seen me naked before. Once. That was only because he accidentally walked in on me taking a shower just as I was getting out. Haha I almost laughed out loud at the memory.

"You're smiling," he grinned. I quickly dropped it.

"I was just thinking about that time you walked in on me." Sean smirked.

"I remember that pretty well too," he said.

"Ha ha, now help me out will ya?" I asked playfully.

"Yes your majesty," he bowed. I smacked him on the head playfully. He just laughed. I pulled the plug, allowing the water to start draining and he reached both arms underneath me and lifted me up, letting me sit on the edge of the tub. He grabbed a towel and handed it to me. I shook my wet hair and him like a dog and he laughed, which made me smile.

"Thanks for helping me. I didn't want my parents to," I cringed at the thought. He smirked.

"Yeah I wouldn't want either of my parents seeing me naked either. It's not like they haven't seen me naked before," he said sarcastically. I smacked him in the arm.

"Shut up," I replied.

"Just sayin," he shrugged. Wrapping the towel around my waist, I went to walk and then remembered I needed my crutches or could try to brace myself against the wall, but Sean grabbed me by the waist and supported my weight, letting me lean on him as we made my way back to my bedroom. We passed Collin's room on the way, and thank god the door was closed. I couldn't stomach seeing that room. It was too much to handle.

I grabbed some sweatpants from my dresser and Sean helped guide my legs into them and he pulled them up until I could reach.

"You don't have to do that you know," I said.

"I don't want you ripping that scab open," he answered. I grabbed a shirt and gingerly streched my arms, wary of my back, and slipped it over my head while Sean watched.

"Yeah me either. Thanks for the help," I gave him a small smile.

"It's good to see that smile," he said. My eyes glazed over and I thought about Collin.

"I know it's hard, it's hard for me. I can only imagine what you're going through Jake," he said, taking my hand in his. "I don't expect you to move on quickly either. We all heal on our own time. But I don't want you to be ashamed of being happy. It's okay to smile and find things funny," He explained. I nodded my understanding.

As I stared into those big brown eyes of his, I was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling. It wasn't something I had felt before. All I knew was that I wanted Sean to be here with me, or me with him. I thought back to the kiss and I touched my lips. He noticed and raised an eyebrow.

"Sorry, I was just thinking," I said, bringing my hand back down to my side.

"What about?" He asked.

"It's nothing, I'll tell you later," I replied.

"Okay, well let's go get some food. I don't know about you but I'm starving. You interrupted my meal," he said teasingly. I simply waved a hand dismissively as I grabbed my crutches and we left my room together.