Chapter 7: It Takes Time

Start from the beginning

My parents came down the hill as everyone started leaving for their cars. I was still just standing there. My leg was throbbing and so were my underarms from supporting my weight but I didn't stop. I just stood there. My mom didn't say anything to me, she just looked at me sympathetically and got in the car, while my dad attempted to help me get in. He opened the door for me, but I stepped back.

"Jake," he frowned, "It's time to go." I shook my head. "Jake. Get in the car." I shook my head again. My dad grabbed my hand. "Let's get in the car."

"No," I jerked my hand from his grip. "No, no, no, no. I...I ca- I can't, I can't." I was rambling on. I started shaking violently. I felt like I was going to throw up. "I can't! I can't! I can't" I was screaming now. My hands were shaking. My dad looked at me helplessly.

Suddenly Sean wrapped his arms around me from behind. "Just breathe," he whispered softly in my ear. My heart was pounding out of my chest. My breath was ragged. I was breathing so hard. "Shh. Just breathe,' he repeated.

I started to calm down a little bit. I allowed Sean to help me into the car and then he climbed in with me. My dad closed the door behind us once we were seated and then went around and got in the driver's seat. I shut my eyes tightly. I didn't wanna see the car moving. I didn't wanna be in the car. Images flashed through my mind of the accident. All the broken glass...I slumped in my seat.

Sean caught me and leaned me back up, so that my face was against his neck. He whispered soothing things to me to reassure me. I could smell his cologne. It smelled so good. I let my breathing slowly even out. "He's okay," I heard Sean say to my parents.

We pulled into the driveway and Sean helped me get out. I stared off into space as he guided me back to my bedroom. "Do you want anything to eat?" He asked. I shook my head. "You need to eat." I ignored that and laid down on the bed. Sean regarded me carefully for a second. "I'm so sorry Jake. I wish I could help more," he sighed before walking over to leave the room.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him suddenly. He wheeled around in surprise.

"Doing what?" He replied. I just looked at him in answer. He sighed. "Jake you're going through a lot right now. I just want you to know that I'm here. That I care."

"Don't go," I said. He smiled a little bit. He came over and kneeled next to the bed. "I'm always here," he kissed my forehead, before climbing in bed with me. He held me while I silently cried, wiping my tears. He didn't say anything else, but he didn't have to. Having Sean here with me was the only thing keeping me from completely falling apart.

When I woke up it was late afternoon. Sean was no longer laying beside me. He probably had to get home to help his mom or something. I slowly sat up, shifted to the edge of the bed, and grabbed my crutches. I slowly pushed myself up. I groaned. The cut on my side was healing but it still hurt pretty bad. My leg was in a cast which was cumbersome to try to walk in. I basically hobbled along everywhere I went. It also meant I couldn't shower, something I just realized. How was I gonna get clean? I didn't want my mom or dad helping me into the bath tub. That's just embarassing. I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like complete shit. My hair was disheveled, I had dark circles under my eyes from a lack of decent sleep, my eyes were also puffy from crying so much, and I still looked pretty pale.

I closed the bathroom door and began to fill up the tub. I could manage that so far, so good. I heard a knock. "Jake you're not getting in by yourself are you? Do you need me to come help you?" Mom asked through the door.

"I'm fine Mom!" I answered. "I can get in by myself."

"Jake I don't want you to slip and fall. Let me at least get your Dad." she reasoned. Ugh she's so stubborn.