Chapter 2 Meeting The Family

Bungo sat in his favorite chair sipping on chamomile tea with a cool towel on his head. "No, no we can not keep this child we don't know anything about her or where she comes from. What if her parents are looking for her. Not to mention the fact that she has a tail!"

While Bungo was ranting, Gandalf was busy reading the letter that Belladonna had showed him. "I very much doubt that anyone is going to be looking for this infant Bungo. Her homeworld and entire species have been destroyed including the infant's parents."

Bungo's eyebrows shot up into his hairline.

"Kumiko, Gandalf, the baby's name is Kumiko. It means eternally beautiful child." Belladonna says as she looks lovingly at the baby that was at this point staring around at the other people in the room. Her tail gripping Belladonna's wrist tightly.

"Do not be an afraid little one, this is your new family." Kumiko grip relaxes slightly.

Gandalf chuckles. "It would seem the little princess understands you, my dear. May I hold her?"

Without hesitation, Bella hands the baby off to Gandalf though there was some difficulty in getting her to release her tail.

Once in his arms, Gandalf and the baby gazed at each other for a long time in silence. Kumiko's tail brushing up against his wrist. "Why does she not grip my wrist as she does yours, Belladonna?" Inquired the Wizard.

The little Hobbit mother could only giggle. "She doesn't trust you, Gandalf."

Quirking an eyebrow, Gandalf turned his gaze back to the infant. "Oh, so you do not trust my little one? Well, you will have plenty of time to get to know me. I have a feeling that you and I will be very good friends. And will go on great adventures together." Gandalf says with a smile.

Slowly and very shyly the little girl's tail wraps loosely around Gandalf's wrist. Meaning 'I trust you but not so much.' Gandalf let out a chuckle picking up on the meaning.

With all of the ruckus over the new edition, a tiny little Hobbit boy stood out of the way, forgotten. But listening to Gandalf talk about adventures, he couldn't take it anymore.

"Gandalf I want to see the baby!"

Upon hearing Bilbo's voice Kumiko's head instantly turned in that direction and she begins to fuss trying to get a better look at Bilbo. Belladonna and Gandalf give each other an astonished look.

"Alright Bilbo, you can hold Kumiko, but you have to be sitting down to do so.

Bilbo immediately flings himself onto the sofa and holds his arms out. "Alright, Mommy, I'm ready." Belladonna approaches Bilbo with the Baby held out to him.

When Kumiko is placed in Bilbo's arms, her tail instantly wraps tightly around his little wrist. Bilbo stares down at it with wide eyes. "Mommy, what does that mean?"

Belladonna awwed at her children. "It means, my darling, that she trusts her big brother."

Bilbo carefully strokes her tail with his other hand as the new siblings stare at each other. A wave of emotion washes over Belladonna as she can clearly see the bond that is forming between her two children, though they are of two completely different species.

Suddenly Bilbo feels this overwhelming sense of protectiveness over the infant, turns to his father. "Papa we have to keep her. She has no one else in this whole world and I love my baby sister very much."

Bilbo says with as much authority a 10-year-old can muster. Bungo looks from Bilbo to Gandalf and finally into his wife's pleading eyes.

He sighs. "Let me see her."

Gandalf takes the baby from Bilbo and hands her over to Bungo. He cradles the baby in his arms and looks at her. The baby is cooing and gurgling and making all sorts of happy noises that babies make. '

Aside from the tail, she seems quite normal.' Bungo thinks.

Then suddenly she reaches up and tweaks him on the nose with a surprisingly strong grip for a baby. Causing Bungo to yelp in pain. This, in turn, causes Kumiko to let out a shriek of giggles. Upon hearing her giggle, Bungo's heart melts and he's hooked.

"Alright we'll keep her, but what are we going to do about her tail?"

Belladonna shrieks in delight and kisses her husband on the cheek. "Don't worry dear, her mother left specific instructions on the handle and care for her tail."

Belladonna snaps her fingers. "That reminds me, we need to go out to where I found her and retrieve the capsule in which I found her. It contains the history of her people including the destruction of her world and teaching tools for her when she gets older."

Gandalf had been calmly listening to their conversation while smoking his pipe, finally speaks up.

"My dear Bungo, I have my horse and buggy nearby. We can use that to bring that contraption back here before anyone else stumbles across it. I must admit I am quite curious to see where Kumiko comes from after reading this letter."