Chapter 32: Dr. William Martin

Start from the beginning

"I need to talk to you," I say, taking a glance at the secretary whose eyes lock with mine. If I were more childish, I would stick out my tongue or give her a fake smile.

"Why didn't they call me?" That's the thing with my brother. He would deny any relationship with me, but if it gives him the chance to prove his authority over someone else, I become the most important person in the whole world.

"I didn't have an appointment and I don't have my phone with me." He closes his eyes momentarily before turning around to face the secretary who now has a worried look on her face. He doesn't say anything to her which surprises me. He is not the type of guy who misses out on the opportunity to explain to someone how wrong they are. Instead, he just grabs my arm to pull me in the corridor leading to the elevators. He presses on the button to go down. Almost immediately, the elevator opens in front of us.

"I was about to go meet Jo for lunch, you can come with us." The second the words leave his mouth, I stop following him. He ends up alone in the cabin, having to rush out before the door closes again separating us. He gives me a look I know too well. He used to give me this look when I ignored Josephine when she talked to me at dinner. It means "what the fuck do you think you're doing?"

"I said I need to talk to you not to her." I spit out the last word. He rolls his eyes, making me regret coming here. I am about to tell him not to worry about it and that I'll find another way, but he grabs my arm again, dragging me back into the psychiatry waiting room. He types a code making the department door open. He waves to a couple people without letting go of my arm, those people giving me either weird or worried glances. In this kind of place, it's probably best if I don't know.

"Will, it hurts," I say as I try to wiggle out of his grasp, but he only strengthens his hold. "William!" I said it louder this time hoping it would make him release, but he doesn't let go until we are in what looks like an exam room. He points the bed against the wall. I say bed, but it's more an exam table, one with squishing paper on top of it. I have to jump to sit on it, but I succeed after a few tries. He sits down on a stool typical in medical offices.

We wait like this for a few minutes, me trying to avoid his eyes and him wanting to make eye contact.

"Eleanor, I have an hour until I have to go back to work. Please don't make me spend it in here with you in silence." Hearing him say things like that, you would never imagine that my brother is an amazing doctor, but I know he is. He just doesn't want to use his great empathy skills with me, I guess.

"I," I stop to take a look at him, only to see him roll his eyes again. "I'm pregnant, Will." His jaw literally falls to the floor. At first, it seems like he believes me, but the longer he stays silent, the more his face changes. He ends up shaking his head multiple times while closing his eyes. He even gets up from his stool to start pacing around the room.

"No, you're not, Ella. It's not funny," he says angrily. I knew he would react that way. In my brother's head, no one around him would humiliate him like that. I hide my face in my hands to hide the tears that are slowly forming in my eyes. I hear him say my name, but I don't look up until his tone his softer.

"Why does it always have to be complicated, Ella? You move to Windsor with this guy, and now you're having a baby with him? At least, tell me it's his." It's my turn to be angry now.

"You think I wanted this? You really think it was in my plans to get pregnant at twenty while I live across the country? I thought you were supposed to be the smart one." I am screaming now. He keeps telling me to calm down, but I just can't. "I came here because I wanted you to help me, that's what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to hold me, to tell me it will be fine, to tell me what to do. You're not supposed to yell and tell me how stupid I am, I already know that very well. I didn't need you to tell me." I am fully crying now. He finally seems to come to his senses, when the door opens suddenly. Two strong guys wearing security agent uniforms walk in, asking if something is actually wrong.