chapter 22: full of stars

Start from the beginning

"You got me film?" I ask and let out a small laugh. "It's perfect. Thank you."

"Yeah, you like it?" He asks. "I got the right one?"

I look down at them and read over the label, bobbing my head to confirm his question. I'm suddenly painfully aware of the face that we have an audience and look up from them, slipping the film into my bag to look over at the staring eyes.

"We should go."

"I couldn't agree more," he whispers back to me and I nudge him toward the door, turning my head to glare at my family who seem oblivious to the fact that they're invading my personal space.

"Bye!"

"Be home by ten," my mom shouts as I shut the door with a thud, inhaling slowly.

"I'm sorry about them," I frown, pressing into the door. "They're not usually so-."

"Protective?" He asks before smiling. "I find that hard to believe. I like how close your family is, you don't have to apologize for them caring."

"Really?" I ask. "It doesn't make you want to run for the hills?"

"No, if anything it makes me want to stay right where I am."

My lips curl up as I lean forward, kissing him gently before leaning back and meeting his eyes. "Where are you taking me?"

"It's a surprise," he grins. "Think you can be patient?"

"No, not at all," I shake my head before laughing. "But for you, I'll try."

"Good," he offers me his arm and walks me towards his car, opening the passenger door for me. He waits until I'm inside and closes the door behind me before walking around to the driver side door, starting the engine before speaking. "So, tell me Miss. Alexander, what's your favourite camera?"

My eyes light up at the mention of a camera and I immediately straighten up in my seat, looking over at him as the gate to our property opens for us to leave. Resting my bag on my lap, I open the leather and reach inside, pulling out my old Canon AE-1.

"This one," I hum. "It's a film SLR and it's my absolute favourite."

"You're speaking gibberish to me, Nicks," he chuckles. "I need a little more than that."

"Right," I nod, letting out a quiet laughter. "Basically, this is a film camera meaning I have to develop them myself or try and find a place that still develops film. Opposed to my DSLR which is the camera I use when I'm shooting for school."

"Digital's easier, isn't it?"

I shrug, "I mean, to get prints for them. Absolutely but I wouldn't say it's easier to use. I love my DSLR too, and the technology for them is amazing. I can do so much with it but there's something special about having to work for it with my film cameras. I like the whole process, not just shooting. I like developing the photos and waiting for my final product over putting an SD card in a computer and printing photos in a few minutes."

"I get that," he nods. "So, you really know how to develop your own photos?"

"Yeah, I have a make shift darkroom at home but the one at school is so much better," I explain, and I can tell my eyes are wide with excitement.

I love getting to talk about this. The photos. The cameras. The production and development. My whole heart poured into photography. My biggest passion in life being able to hold moments forever.

"You're cute when you're excited," Felix suddenly says and my lips curl up wider, if possible as I pop open the door on my camera to check for film.