Chapter 94 Don't Look Back

Start from the beginning

Jane chucked a sample bottle toward Xiao. "This is Casey's research. You will understand its purpose once you analyze it. I need you to stabilize this virus."

"Being that it is Casey's research, I am sure he is more than capable of accomplishing that task." Xiao couldn't help but be wary of the task Jane handed him.

"Casey refuses to complete it. You were the only other person I could think of that is able to do it." Jane's typically cynical and lazy tone is replaced by a strict solemnity and persistence.

"What then?" Xiao frowned.

"And then you ask?" Jane leaned forward and put his hands in his pockets. His uniform dressing was fastidious, from his collar to the individual folds of the fabric. This serious side to Jane reminds him of a researcher's temperament as opposed to a Special Forces soldier. "Then my body can be used as a weapon to kill Valentin."

Xiao eyes widened at Janes words.

"Always have a backup plan. Don't tell me Heine Burton failed to teach you that."

With these words Jane threw Heine a meaningful look, pushed open the door and exited the room.

Xiao's hand tightened around the vial. He was surprised that Jane was preparing for such an eventuality. If their plan fails and Jane falls into the hands of Valentin, then he will use this virus to attack Valentin's body after he implants his brain into Jane. Once in Jane's body, Valentin will be met with certain death.

The reason why Casey couldn't complete the research is very clear to Xiao Yan. Jane is family to Casey, he couldn't kill him with his own research. Casey can't do that.

"But I can?" Xiao smiled bitterly.

"Jane knows in his heart that you are not so callous as to sacrifice your companions to win, but he is also sure that you can complete the task."

Xiao lowered his head, his hand reflexively tightening further around the bottle.

Heine leaned forward and kissed Xiao's forehead. The soft gesture momentarily relaxed Xiao and he closed his eyes, feeling the security offered by Heine's touch.

"Xiao Yan. In battle there is a law of war among the Special Forces. I hope that you will keep it in mind."

"what?"

"Never look back. The more important the task, the more you must complete it. When the weight of responsibility is on your shoulders, it is crucial that you do not look back." Heine's palm moved toward his chin and Xiao cannot fight against the strength of his hand. Heine tilts Xiao's head upward, forcing him to look him in the eye. He carefully gazed at Xiao, as though determining if he truly understood his words.

Xiao thought of Maya, who had been injured by the Surge to get him into the control room. He thought of Sharon, who died due to the virus accelerator. Even though he was the weakest among them, they had spared no effort to protect him. Easily sacrificing themselves so Xiao could achieve his goal. It sounds like a blessing in theory but to the hero, left standing alone at the end of the mission, it is an unbelievably cruel and painful reality.

"If you look back then all their sacrifices will be in vain. You can't undo what is happened. The only thing that can exist is the mission. All grief must wait until the task is completed."

"I can't do that." Xiao was suddenly terrified. He knew Heine too well. Once he made a decision, he would do whatever it takes to see it through.

"What Jane needs, you can do it. Complete Casey's research and we will have made this task foolproof." Heine gaze was solid and steady. "You don't need to be scared or worried about anything. I am confident that when this is finished, I will still be by your side."

Xiao eyes slowly grew steady and determined. "Jane was worried that we would fail. I will finish the virus as he requested, but I will not allow there to be a need for it."