Chapter 5 Hiking

"The engine is damaged. That high speed vertical flight pattern exceeded the crafts speed limits. It has damaged the power system. The craft must land."  Xiao spoke with light indifference.

He remembers having browsed the plans for military aircraft, as it had interested him.

"Are you really just a class B student?" Liv looked at him incredulously.

"Being unable to master anything,makes for a poor researcher."

His mentor once told him that, although he had an insatiable curiosity, he did not possess the patience to be a researcher.

The aircraft has come to a halt in the middle of a jungle.

An uneasy atmosphere was spreading throughout the cabin.

Mark opened the cockpit door and with a tight frown bellowed, "Hey rookies! Get ready to depart the aircraft we have to get to base 14 on foot."

"What?! Leave the aircraft?!"

Captain White's face drained of color.Those words sapping his strength to even stand.

The other students stared at Mark expectantly, desperately hoping he would reveal his order was a joke. Mark shrugged reluctantly.

"You can stay here, or walk the 12hours to base."

"12 hours--" The strangled exclamation echoed through the students tightened throats.

The cabin erupted into overlapping interjections.

"12 hours? I wouldn't step out for 12minutes. The sun is going to set in less than an hour and there are zombies in this forest."

At this point Heine exited the cockpit, his eyes like a bitter knife slicing through the students frail hearts.

"Move out."

After issuing the command, he picked the box containing the uranium and opened the cabin door. His figure quickly disappeared into the jungle. The students sat paralyzed.

Mark chuckled and waved dismissively with his hand. "Stay here. The Surge will eventually find you. Surely they will invite you for a nice cup of tea."

"What? What do you mean." The students voices were urgent and frightened. Their faces were fluctating between blue and white.

Liv looked at Xiao Yan and handed oneof the boxes to him and said with a severe and serious tone, "Come with us."

Xiao didn't argue and went to follow Liv out, one of the frightened students grabbed at Xiao, eyes wild with terror.

"Don't go out there! They may not be able to protect you, if we wait here the rescue team from base 14 will come."