Chapter 81 Restore

"I will be happy to help you sort out your memories. You thoughts were shut down like a broken terminal. Once restarted, the retained files must be organized. Certain memories will be in the same place, such as your research. These will be stored with your long-term memory. The longer you have recalled something, the more clearly you will remember it. However, your ongoing research may not be retained as such and you might have to start again. The primary problem is your memories that were in transition. These are the memories that have been broken up and intertwined. You will have to piece them together along the way. Fully recovering them will be a tremendous undertaking."

Xiao Yan nodded. He remembered being a child and his time at the Academy, those memories were very clear. The mess begins after leaving the Shire for the first time. After that, everything breaks apart like a scattered puzzle. He sees the details but not how they fit into the whole.

"Not to mention that your increased brain speed means there is more information to recover than the average person. Because the continuity of your memories has been destroyed, your mind is having a difficult time recovering them. Without order, your mind lacks the ability to recall these past events. The Major General hopes that you will be back to your research as soon as possible, so we don't have much time. Colonel Burton I am sorry, but I need to ask you and Liv to leave the room. I promise that in a few hours Xiao will walk out of here with a bit more clarity."

"I hope this promise is more reliable than the last one."

Heine looked at Xiao Yan before leaving. Xiao did not break eye contact.

Xia's smile did not falter. He bowed slightly and gestured outside. "The tea here is first rate. You two can enjoy some while you wait."

Finally only Xia and Xiao Yan remained, Xiao almost shouted in relief.

General Xia leans across the table with one hand stretched out. He is good at getting people to relax, and his unique and soothing voice calms Xiao.

"It seems that Colonel Burton is very nervous."

Xiao Yan smiled tightly.

Is he so obvious?

Xia puts down his teacup and Xiao went to sit down. Although his features are not as attractive as Heine's, he is still quite handsome. He has an elite air about him that adds to his unique presence.

"The reality is your memories are not confused, merely the events of the last two years. Since these are newer memories, they are more fragile, the long term memories are deeper and therefore more stable."

Xiao Yan nodded.

"There is no way for me to sort the pieces for you, there are too many fragments and I don't know your life. I can't help you connect all of them. My orders are to focus on ordering and recovering your thoughts regarding your research projects."

Xia is very logical and patient. With his guidance, Xiao is able to clarify his first project, creating an antidote to the chemical weapons developed by the Surge. In order to not over burden his brain, Xia did not push him further.

A half an hour before the end of their session, Xia pours Xiao Yan a cup of tea. "I imagine that you are not eager to rejoin Colonel Burton right now."

"...because Colonel Burton...and in... my memory... are different." Xiao Yan didn't know how to explain this so-called "difference."

"Haha..." Xia touched his chin. "Do you remember our consultation?"

"Yes... although I don't know why I was being questioned."

"That no longer matters. From what I saw in your memory about Colonel Burton..." Xia leaned forward and covered his hand with him own. "I hope he doesn't break your body."

Xiao shoulders shook as his subconscious deciphered his words. The general bowed his head and sipped his tea, he chuckled but said nothing more.

When the time was up, Heine pushed open the door and looked coldly at the two.

"Oh Colonel Burton. Through my guidance, Xiao Yan has already remembered one of his research projects. This is a very big step."

Heine stared at Xia's smiling face without any reaction.

"But everything else in life, like who he knows, kisses, rolls in the sheets with...etc...I can't do anything about that. After all, such information has no logic or sense to it. That will have to be sorted out in the future.'

Xiao isn't certain but it seems that there is an air of satisfaction coming from Xia...and more than a little gloating.