Chapter Twenty: Raisin Bread

Start from the beginning

Meta Knight felt sick. He tightened his fists and took a slow breath, “I can't put my wings away,” He said.

Wordless, King Kyron leaned forward, reached behind Meta Knight and pressed a finger against the scar on his back. His wings instantly snapped into their cape form. The pain went away.

Of course.

When the cord snapped against Meta Knight's back, giving him his scar, he was unable to use his wings. When Miroarge had whipped her tail against the scar he was immobilized. Now that his wings were too mangled to use, pressing against the scar would cause his wings to morph back into a cape.

“How did you know that would happen?” Meta Knight asked.

“You were bleeding when you were first recovered, while trying to manage your wounds we found out. You kept opening your wings in your sleep, so,” He trailed off.

Meta Knight felt a bit sick at this. This was bad. Being suddenly immobilized and flightless by a press on his back was a weakness he couldn't defend. He couldn't keep an eye on his back at all times. But he would have to do that now. He would simply have to adapt.

Now that his wings were away he took a look at his cap, pulling it around himself. The left of his cape was relatively intact, though there were two long rips that had been neatly sewn shut. The right, however, was in complete tatters. The ragged edges were singed and a large section was just gone. That would take quite some time to heal and even then, there would be some lasting effects.

So he'd be here for a while.

Meta Knight jerked to attention as there were shouts outside. A sound of crackling and zapping grew closer before someone shot into the narrow opening and rammed into the upper wall of the small room before falling to the floor with a thump.

“Atticus?” Kyron exclaimed, surprised.

The bat groaned and rolled onto his back, revealing a bundle surrounded in a thick blanket. There were a few twitches of his fingers before he haphazardly kicked the bundle towards Meta Knight. His wings shuddered as aftershocks of electricity ran through them.

King Kyron reached for the bundle, but Meta knight stopped him short.

“No, don't,” Meta Knight urged. He struggled to his feet and carefully unwrapped the bundle to reveal Galaxia's golden blade and hilt. As he picked up the hilt, a soft, white glow emerged from the red gem and swirled around his arm, signifying the bond he had with his ancient sword.

Kyron kneeled next to Atticus, running a hand across his skull, “You got a lump, but I don't think you cracked your skull too bad,”

“You should not have done that, Atticus. Galaxia will fight off anyone who isn't meant to wield her,” Meta Knight said. He had become well aware with the sight of an unaware allie or antagonist grabbing for the sword and being met with a sharp shock.

Atticus was still jittering from the electricity that Galaxia sent through him as he sat up.

“Not just that, but you hit the wall pretty hard. You could have died,” Kyron said.

“He's too wretched to die,”

The three looked to the window to see Penelope peeking in.

“Does no one around here rest?” Kyron asked with a sigh.

“Hey, I'm only here because Atticus is,” Penelope defended.

“Meta Knight could not rest without his sword,” Atticus whined, rubbing his hands over his head.